As COVID-19 restrictions ease, Wyndham City is working with businesses to make it as easy as possible for operators to welcome people safely back to our city, with social distancing and density requirements.
Outdoor dining and trading in a COVID-safe way will look a little different to what we’re used to and we have introduced a new application process to support businesses with more options to expand outdoor trading areas in a safe, creative and practical way.
Wyndham City will consider temporary commercial use of Council-managed public space with applications open for business operators in shopping strips, town centres and activity centres, provided:
- A Footpath Trading Permit is in place and you are using all of your available space, including the footpath trading zone of neighbouring businesses (with their approval via a Footpath Trading Permit) and are seeking more space adjoining, adjacent or in close proximity to your business, OR
- A Footpath Trading Permit is not an option due to footpath size or safety reasons. Please check here for Footpath Trading Guidelines and Permit Application.
The Temporary Commercial Use of Public Space Permit may include applications for Council-managed areas such as streets, car parks and open space in town centres and shopping strips.
It excludes the use of parks and reserves.
Each application will be assessed on a case by case basis considering health and safety, accessibility, public impact and whether there is full use of other opportunities such as private land and footpath trading zones.
- Fees will be waived until 31 August 2021.
- Review of applications will be fast tracked, with target time of 10 working days.
- You will need Public Liability Insurance to be able to trade on public land.
- This application form does not apply for private or Crown land.
- All food and beverages must be prepared within the business premises.
- Note applicants will be responsible for presentation, cleaning and providing toilet facilities for their customers.
During this time Council staff may contact you for further information to assist with assessing your application.
As part of this permit process, Wyndham City has a suite of free, outdoor dining sets available for temporary business use, with a limited number of parklets, outdoor dining sets and alfresco pods . Council will work with businesses to determine if any of these elements may be suitable as part of your application.
You can also get in touch with us via firstname.lastname@example.org.