Coming soon (in 2019)...
Wyndham Writing Awards (piloted in 2017 as Words of Wyndham) will be back in 2019 to inspire encourage and recognise emerging Australian adult writers and literary creators.
Prizes will be awarded for unpublished works in four categories:
short story, graphic short story, flash story, and poetry.
Entries will open May 1, 2019 and close June 30, 2019
Reviewers will consider: Originality, Characterisation, Drama/Impact, Form, Style & Presentation, and Imagery/Language
Sub-heading: In the meantime...
Check out other awards and competitions at:
Need some inspiration? Come along to a writing club...
Come along to one of our writing workshops to share your work, meet other writers and participate in exercises before you enter the competition! We have clubs at both the Werribee CBD and Julia Gillard Library Tarneit.
Words of Wyndham 2017
The Words of Wyndham 2017 short story, graphic short, poetry and flash fiction winners and shortlists were announced on 2 November 2017, and are now listed below.
Wyndham City Libraries’ adult writing competition has finished. Around 400 entries were received, with an impressive display of the talent from across Australia and locally in Wyndham. To narrow the entries down to a shortlist for each category was very difficult and judges Adam Ford and Bernard Caleo had a hard task to pick the winners.
An anthology of the winning and other shortlisted entries is being published. Themes of the stories and poems range from suicide, family violence and mourning, to online dating, Easter eggs and birds.
Print copies are available to borrow from branches, and a free digital copy is available here:
- A Colour Of Loss by Freya Cox
- Aviary by Tess Corbel [Winner]
- Forecast by A. Di Martino
- In the New Land by Caroline Miley
- One Hundred Strokes by Chris Childs [Local Encouragement Award]
Graphic Short Stories
- Curious-01 by Eric Le
- Katabatic by Jennifer Reuter [Local Encouragement Award]
- Modern Transport by Tegan New [Winner]
- The Secret Dreamsof Mum by C.A. Clark
- Umara’s Dragons by Sharra Veltheer
- As Old as the Hills by Helen Cerne
- Charles Said by Mitchell Shepherd
- Hymn of the Wind by Christine L. Bulandus [Local Encouragement Award]
- The Watch by Melissa Favasuli
- Vagrant by Ruth Macaulay
- Your Greatest Trick by Kris Tammer [Winner]
- Carrot Cake by Linda Chen
- Dissonance by Suzi Mezei
- Into the Mist by Coral Waight
- On Trial by Daniel J. Thompson [Local Encouragement Award]
- Robbery by C. A. Broadribb
- Winnie Carver by Rebecca Handler [Winner]
Prizes will be in the form of vouchers; for membership and/or workshops of Writers Victoria, or gift cards from Dymocks or Robinsons Bookshop.
- Short Story Prize $400 - 1000-3000 words
- Graphic Short Story Prize$400 - 4-8 x A4 pages, minimum 2 illustrated panels per page
- Poetry Prize$200 - Maximum 60 lines
- Flash Fiction Prize$80 - 100-500 words
- Wyndham City Local Encouragement Awards - awarded to the best shortlisted local entry in each category