Wyndham City offers most Wyndham households three free hard and green waste collection services each financial year.
The service works on a pre-booked system. You will need to book your collection day at least 2 weeks in advance.
Waste Disposal Voucher and Hard and Green Waste Booked Collection Exchange Program
We’re making it easier to dispose of waste with three key changes to make our service more flexible and accessible:
- Residents can now exchange hard and green waste booked collection entitlements for Waste Disposal Vouchers to use at the Refuse Disposal Facility at Wests Road, Werribee.
- Residents who have used all their hard and green waste booked collections for the year can talk to our Council officers and purchase additional collections for $100 each.
- Residents who live in multi-unit dwellings and don’t currently pay a waste charge can book a hard and green waste booked collection for $100.
Managing your waste has never been easier in Wyndham, and Council officers are here to help. For further information, contact our awesome Customer Service Team to learn more: 1300 023 411.
FAQ'S - Waste Disposal Voucher and Hard and Green Waste Booked Collection Exchange Program 2022
What is happening?
Wyndham City is trialling three key changes to the waste disposal services to help residents keep Wyndham clean and green.
- Hard and Green Waste Booked Collection Entitlement and Waste Disposal Voucher Exchange. Households in Wyndham that pay the waste charge with their annual rates can book three hard and green waste collections for their property.
Now, residents can exchange these entitlements into Waste Disposal Vouchers, which they may use to drop off waste at the Refuse Disposal Facility (RDF) in Werribee. Homeowners will still have access to the Waste Disposal Voucher they receive on their rates notice.
- Additional Hard and Green Waste Booked Collections when household allocation is exhausted.
Renters and homeowners can now book additional hard and green waste collections when they have already used their three service allocations for the year. Each additional collection costs $100.
- Hard and Green Waste Booked Collections for people who don’t pay the waste charge on their rates
Residents who do not pay the waste charge, like people living in multi-unit dwellings, may book a hard and green waste collection for a fee of $100.
Council officers want to work with residents to understand their needs and provide solutions wherever possible.
To access the above waste services, residents should call Wyndham City’s Customer Service Centre on 1300 023 411. Residents requesting a Waste Disposal Voucher to the RDF will be asked to provide proof of residency.
Hard and green waste collections can also be booked online via: https://digital.wyndham.vic.gov.au/hardwaste/
During COVID, Wyndham City introduced an online form to allow residents to exchange their Waste Disposal Vouchers for hard and green waste booked collections. Residents may continue to use this form here: www.wyndham.vic.gov.au/form/waste-disposal-voucher
What does this mean for renters?
Previously renters could only access three Hard and Green Waste Booked Collections per year by calling customer service or completing an online form: https://digital.wyndham.vic.gov.au/hardwaste/
Now, renters can continue to access three Hard and Green Waste Booked Collections per year by calling customer service or completing an online form: https://digital.wyndham.vic.gov.au/hardwaste/
OR they can exchange these entitlements for a Waste Disposal Voucher to be used at the RDF by calling customer service.
What does this mean for owner-occupiers?
Previously owner-occupiers could access three Hard and Green Waste Booked Collections per year by calling customer service or completing an online form: https://digital.wyndham.vic.gov.au/hardwaste/
They also received one Waste Disposal Voucher with their rates notice each year.
Now, owner-occupiers can continue to access three Hard and Green Waste Booked Collections per year by calling customer service or completing an online form: https://digital.wyndham.vic.gov.au/hardwaste/
OR they can exchange these entitlements for a Waste Disposal Voucher to be used at the RDF by calling customer service. Owner occupiers will continue to receive one Waste Disposal Voucher with their rates notice each year.
What does this mean for landlords (not residing at a property they own)?
Previously landlords (property owners not residing at their property) received one Waste Disposal Voucher with their rates notice each year.
There is no change. Landlords will continue to receive one Waste Disposal Voucher with their rates notice each year.
If landlords need support to access a Hard and Green Waste Booked Collection for the property they lease, they can call to discuss their circumstances with an officer from the waste team. Above all, Officers want to help residents do the right thing and will offer support when possible and appropriate.
What is the maximum amount of waste I can take to the RDF using one Waste Disposal Voucher?
The voucher can be used for a car, van or ute and a trailer of domestic (residential) waste at the Wyndham Refuse Disposal Facility at no cost.
The waste may include up to two mattresses and four passenger vehicle sized tyres. Additional mattresses, tyres and other waste items such as gas bottles in that load will incur additional charges.
The voucher must be used to dispose of waste from the household linked to the voucher.
In certain circumstances, people can give the voucher to a friend, relative or a private business to bring your waste in on their behalf.
For example; a person helping their parents move house, may present to the RDF with waste and use the voucher linked to their parents address.
Vouchers cannot be sold or used for commercial waste that does not originate from a household.
The person presenting the voucher may be asked to identify the address that the voucher is associated with and to present ID that shows the address.
How can I get more information?
To access the above waste services, residents should call Wyndham City’s Customer Service Centre on 1300 023 411.
If you require further information, please reach out to Liza McColl, Strategic Adviser to the Director of City Operations at Wyndham City Council.
- Within property boundary with clear access
- Put items out 1 day before your collection date
- Please neatly sort / stack your items in 3 separate piles close together within your property boundary (E.g. Drive way or Front yard).
- General hard waste
- Green waste
- White goods/metal items
- Please box small items of same type / category together.
- Each item must not weigh more than 55kg and must be able to be lifted by 2 people
- Items must not be longer than 1.5 metres.
- Volume of waste must not be more than 3 cubic metres (3 metres long x 1 metres deep x 1 metre high)
- All items will be collected unless marked otherwise
- Items will not be collected from inside a trailer. Items must be placed in front yard
- Find out what can and can't be collected as part of your Hard and Green Waste Collection.
Cancel or Changing your booking
You can cancel or change your existing booking by calling Council on 1300 023 411 or emailing H&G.Inquiry@wyndham.vic.gov.au by 9:30am one business day before collection date.
Otherwise, the booking will be lost.
Waste Disposal Vouchers/Tip Tokens
FAQ's - Hard and Green Waste Collection Service
How do I dispose of items that are on the No list?
Detox your home is a safe, free and easy-to-use service to dispose of highly toxic, unwanted household chemicals such as solvents, poisons and cleaning products. Visit Sustainability Victoria or call on 1800 353 233 for more information.
Refuse Disposal Facility (RDF):
The RDF (tip) located at 470 Wests Road, Werribee accepts many items for recycling and landfilling. Refer to the RDG (tip) page for the full list.
Why is my property ineligible for hard and green waste collection?
Some Wyndham properties are not eligible for hard and green waste collections for one of the following reasons:
- The rates for the property do not include a waste management charge because they are either a commercial property or have private collection. These properties do not receive Wyndham City garbage collection service and hence are ineligible for hard and green waste collection.
- A building has recently been built on the property but the process to update the way the property rates are calculated has not been completed. Once this process is complete the owner will receive a supplementary rates notice. Once this notice has been issued (and as long as the property is paying the Waste Management charge (see 1) above)), the property will then be eligible for hard and green waste collections.
If you have any queries about your property's eligibility, please call 1300 023 411.
What happens to hard & green waste?
The contractor responsible for collecting Hard and Green waste aims to recycle as much as possible. They do this as it is the most cost-effective solution for them and because the contract requires a high recycling rate. Items that are commonly recycled include: all items made from metals, green waste, untreated timber, electrical items and mattresses. If you are planning to book a hard and green waste collection we recommend you give clothing, crockery and furniture to charity stores, as reuse is better than disposal.