All property valuations will now be undertaken annually by the Valuer - General Victoria.

Annual property valuations will mean your rates will fairly and more accurately reflect the value of your property in relation to the value of other properties in the municipality. Property valuations are effective as at 1 January of the corresponding year.

2023/24 Rates Notices - Q & A's

Why have my rates gone up by so much when the rate cap is 3.5%?

  • Rates are calculated based on the valuation of a property.  If the valuation of a property has increased by a greater % than the average within the municipality, the rates will increase by higher than the 3.5% cap.
  • This does not result in a ‘windfall’ gain for Council.
  • The amount by which total rate income can increase for Council is subject to the rate cap of 3.5%.

How often does Council complete valuations?

  • Municipal property valuations have moved from being undertaken once every two years to every year. The Valuer-General Victoria will now be responsible for all valuations. 

Does Council complete the valuations?

  • All property valuations will now be undertaken annually by an Independent valuer who has been appointed by the Valuer - General Victoria.

Can I object against the valuation?

  • Yes, you can lodge an objection regarding the valuation that has been determined for your property.
  • The objection needs to apply to the actual valuation, not the rates charge. 
  • The objection must be submitted in writing or submitted online via the Rating Valuation Objection Portal, within 2 Months of the issue date on the annual notice or supplementary notice

What if I cannot afford to pay my rates?

  • If you feel you are facing difficulty in paying your rates, you should contact council as per the contact details on your rates notice.
  • Council officers will be available to discuss your circumstances and payment plans or hardship provisions that you that you may be eligible for.

Valuing a Property

Property values are determined by analysis of market sales and rental evidence, which is then applied to the data on each particular property. Data is compiled on each property over time, through inspection, building and planning permits and other public sources.

The valuer builds a profile of value levels for each different area/property type by analysis of recent sales and leasings. This information is then applied to individual properties, taking into account the different characteristics of each property.

Sales information is available to Wyndham City (under property sales law, Wyndham City must be notified of property sales). Data on property rentals and expenses is obtained from owners and tenants.

For more information download a copy of Property Rates and Valuations- How it affects you

Explaining Your Rates Notice

Here is an explanation of the different valuations shown on your rates and charges notice,

  • Site Value - the market value of the land only
  • Capital Improved Value (CIV) - the total market value of the land plus buildings and other improvements
  • Net Annual Value (NAV): the current value of a property's net annual rent i.e. gross annual rental less all outgoings - such as Land Tax, building insurance and maintenance costs etc, (excluding Wyndham City rates). By law, NAV must be at least 5 per cent of the CIV. Refer to the Valuation of Land Act 1960 for complete definitions.

Calculating General Rates and Charges

Rates and Charges are set by Council through the annual budget process.

  • Municipal charge: A Municipal charge is made on every rateable property to cover some of the administrative costs of Wyndham City.
  • Waste Management charge: A Waste Management charge is made on every residential property that has access to Wyndham City’s waste collection and recycling service. A waste management service is not available for commercial or industrial properties.
  • Green Waste charge: A Green Waste charge is made on residential properties which have elected for Wyndham City to collect green waste from the property on a regular basis. This is an elective charge and only applied to properties which request this service.

Capital Improved Value

Most municipalities now use Capital Improved Value (CIV) as their valuation base. The formula for calculating General Rates, excluding any additional charges or arrears, is:

General Rates = x Rate in the dollar
Details of the Wyndham City valuation of your property are displayed on your rate notice.
Capital Improved Value Basis

For a municipality where the valuation base is Capital Improved Value, the calculation for a residential property worth $500,000 would be:

Capital Improved Value

Rate in dollar .002235
$500,000 x .002235 = $1,117.50

*  This is an example, assuming the rate in the dollar is .002359 (Current rate in the dollar for General Developed land 2023/2024).

Fire Service Levy

The MFB and CFA were largely funded by statutory contributions from the insurance industry, metropolitan councils and the State Government. The Fire Services Property Levy (FSPL) is collected in accordance with the Fire Services Property Levy Act 2012.

The FSPL is made up of two parts:

  • a fixed charge
  • a variable charge based on your property’s capital improved value

The FSPL charges are itemised on your rate notice. A $50 concession towards the fire services property levy will also be available for eligible pensioners. Separate levies will remain in the MFB and CFA areas in recognition of the different costs associated with funding each service.

Supplementary Valuations

In certain circumstances, valuations must be performed between general valuations. These are known as supplementary valuations.

Supplementary valuations are required when properties are:

  • physically changed - for example, when buildings are altered, erected or demolished; or
  • amalgamated, subdivided, portions sold off, rezoned or are affected by road construction.

Supplementary valuations bring the value of this property into line with the general valuation of other properties within Wyndham City.

Disputing your Valuation/ Lodging an Objection

If you do not agree with your valuation, you may object within two (2) months of the date of issue shown on the Rate Notice. Objections received after this date will not be considered.

You may also lodge an objection to any of the grounds set out under Section 17 of the Valuation Of Land Act 1960, as below:

  • The value is too high or too low;
  • That the interest held by various persons in the land have not been correctly apportioned;
  • That the apportionment of the valuation is not correct;
  • that lands that should have been included in one valuation have been valued separately;
  • that lands that should have been valued separately have been included in one valuation;
  • that the person named in the notice of valuation, assessment notice or other document is not liable to be so named;
  • that the area, dimensions or description of the land including the AVPCC allocated to the land are not correctly stated in the notice of valuation, assessment notice or other document.

It is advisable that the ratepayer first discuss their concerns with Council.  If Council is unable to assist, the enquiry may be forwarded to the appointed Valuer. 

Objections will be processed by the appointed valuer.  Once the valuer has made their determination, you will be notified of their decision as a recommendation or disallowance. Should the valuers determine a recommendation, the revised values will be sent to the Valuer General Victoria for certification.

If you believe that any of the above-mentioned grounds for objection apply to your property, contact Rating Services on 1300 023 411, following an initial discussion with council or appointed valuer, Objections can be lodged in writing (application provided by council ) or lodged via the Rating Valuation Objection Portal.


Differential Rates

A differential rate is the rate applicable to the different types of properties you may own – i.e. residential, farm, commercial etc.

The Differential Rates are structured in accordance with the requirements of Section 161 of the Local Government Act ‘Differential Rates’ and further information can be found in the 2023-2024 Annual Plan and Budget.

Developed Land

Developed land is identified as any land which is not:

  • Commercial Developed Land
  • Industrial Developed Land
  • Residential Development Land
  • Farm Land
  • Vacant Residential Land
  • Vacant Commercial land
  • Vacant Industrial Land
  • Vacant Rural Land

Developed Land is Residential Land on which a building is erected, and the site is approved for occupation by the issue of an occupancy certificate from Council and the site is available or used for residential purposes.

The building types included within Developed Residential Land are:

  • Detached houses
  • Attached houses
  • Strata title flats and 
  • Strata title apartment

Commercial Developed Land

Commercial Land is land on which there is a building and this building was designed or modified and is used for commercial purposes.

Industrial Developed Land

Industrial Land is land on which there is a building and this building was designed or modified and is used for industrial purposes.

Residential Development Land

Residential Development Land is identified as land located within an urban growth zone where:

  • A planning permit authorising the subdivision of the land has been issued
  • No principle place of residence exists on the subdivided land

Vacant Residential Land

Vacant Residential Land is land on which there are no buildings where you could live and the land is located within a Residential or Township Zone.

Vacant Commercial Land

Vacant Commercial Land is vacant land on which there are no buildings where you could live or operate a business and this land is located within a:

  • Business 1, 4 or 5 Zone, or
  • Priority Development Zone with an approved precinct plan for commercial use, or
  • Special Use Zone with an approved development plan for commercial use, or
  • Urban Growth Zone, with an approved precinct structure plan, for commercial use.

Vacant Industrial Land

Vacant Industrial Land is land on which there are no buildings where you could operate a business from or live in and the land is located within a:

  • Industrial Business 1, 2 or 3 Zone, or
  • Priority Development Zone with an approved precinct plan for industrial use, or
  • Special Use Zone with an approved development plan for Industrial use, or
  • Urban Growth Zone, with an approved precinct structure plan, for industrial use.

Farm Land

Under the Valuation of Land Act 1960 farm land is land that has the following characteristics:

  1. is not less than 2 hectares in area; and
  2. is used primarily for grazing (including agistment), dairying, pig-farming, poultry-farming, fish-farming, tree-farming, bee-keeping, viticulture, horticulture, fruit-growing or the growing of crops of any kind or for any combination of those activities; and
  3. is used by a business:
    a) that has a significant and substantial commercial purpose or character; and
    b) that seeks to make a profit on a continuous or repetitive basis from its activities on the land; c) that is making a profit from its activities on the land, or that has a reasonable prospect of making a profit from its activities on the land if it continues to operate in the way that it is operating

Rural Lifestyle Land

Rural lifestyle land is identified as land with a residential dwelling on larger allotments in rural, semi-rural or bush land settings. Primary production uses and associated improvements are secondary to the value of the residential home site use and associates residential improvements.

Rural Vacant Land

Rural Vacant land is identified as being vacant land which is 0.4 hectares or more and not deemed to be a farm under the Valuation of Land

Related documents

Back to top