The registrations, permits and licences you need will depend mainly on the sort of business you’ll be running and what activities your business is undertaking.
It is important to find out what taxation and other business registrations apply to your new business to ensure that you comply with all relevant regulations.
The easiest way to find out what local, state and federal registrations, licences and permits you need is to use the Australian Business Licence and Information Service.
Registrations include (but are not limited to):
- Australian Business Number (ABN) – apply to register with the Australian Business Register
- Business or Company Name - registrations are managed by the Australian Securities and Investments Commission (ASIC)
- Tax File Number (TFN) - Australian Taxation Office
- Goods and Services Tax (GST) - Australian Taxation Office
- Pay As You Go (PAYG) withholding - Australian Taxation Office
To find out what licences apply to your business refer to the Australian Business Licence and Information Service
Permits – Wyndham City
You may need to comply with Wyndham City Council permits. These could be permits for:
- Town Planning – includes permits for subdividing land, use of land, displaying signs, street trading and other town planning requirements.
- Building - building permits relate to the method of construction of a building or development.
- Environmental Health – includes permits for food premises, accommodation premises, hairdressers, beauty and tattoo premises.
For more information about permits, visit the links above or contact Wyndham City on 9742 0777 or visit the Civic Centre, 45 Princes Highway, Werribee (no appointment necessary).
Businesses must deal with risk on a daily basis, regardless of their size or industry type.
Insurance is an essential part of managing these risks and for small business owners uninsured at the time of an accident, the resulting costs can often lead to closure of the business.
If you're operating a small business, having insurance can help reduce your risk and allow you to succeed in the future.
Your insurance requirements will vary according to the type of business you are operating, but you should be aware that some forms of insurance are compulsory for Australian businesses.
Find the Right Insurance (Victorian Government – Business Victoria)
What Insurance does my Business Need? (Australian Government)