Businesses and their employees can get involved in taking sustainable action. Now more than ever organisations and clients are wanting to work with businesses and that have the same sustainability commitments and values.
Making sustainable choices in your business not only reduces impacts on the environment but can make significant financial savings.
Here are some resources, programs, education platforms and government rebates available to businesses wanting to incorporate sustainable practices like reducing waste, saving energy, and upskilling their sustainability knowledge.
Does your business have waste that could be re-used or recycled, or would you be interested in procuring second hand materials (usually for free)?
ASPIRE is an online matchmaking tool for exchanging materials (that would otherwise be discarded) from one business to another in order to benefit both businesses and the environment.
Aspire identifies opportunities and connects businesses to turn circular economy behaviours into practical realities by:
- Reducing costs associated with waste disposal and purchasing new materials
- Earning money with a new revenue stream
- Save on C02 emissions using localised solutions and avoiding landfill
For more information visit aspiresme.com or contact Council's Waste Education Team on firstname.lastname@example.org.
Business Renewable Buying Group
Wyndham City has joined together with councils across Victoria to assist businesses to purchase renewable energy and cut their emissions.
What is the Business Renewables Buying Group?
The Business Renewables Buying Group is designed to bring together a group of like-minded businesses seeking to switch to 100% renewable electricity. With the support of an external facilitator, the group will work collectively to scale up their buying power whilst cutting complexity, time, and cost associated with going 100% renewable.
The Business Renewable Buying Group is open to businesses across Victoria consuming over 500mWh per annum of electricity (spending ~ $100,000 per annum).
Through the Business Renewables Buying Group we are striving to build and refine this model and create a repeatable and scalable group purchasing method to support more businesses to join a renewable future.
Why join the Business Renewables Buying group?
- Improved market response for your businesses, with more options and potential price benefits due to increased load
- Ability to work with others who are going through similar decisions to compare considerations and support each other
- Reduced project costs and staff time by spreading the workload across the group
- The process is led by an experienced facilitator, with access to specialist strategic advice.
What are the benefits for your business?
- Cost effective way to reduce emissions and deliver on your strategic goals
- Long term and stable pricing provide budget certainty and reduces exposure to energy market volatility
- Avoid repeated internal procurement processes over the duration of the PPA contract
- Participation in this project and renewable energy purchase can provide reputation, branding and leadership benefits
- Opportunity to directly support the renewable energy industry.
Watch previous webinars on-demand
How do I find out more?
To find out more contact email@example.com or fill out Business Renewables Buying Group Registration Form
Western Alliance of Greenhouse Action (WAGA) - Business Support Program
This Council-run program WAGA - Business Support Program outlines a number of easy steps you can take to become more efficient, cost-effective and environmentally friendly. They can assist you with cutting costs, lowering your energy use and future-proofing your business.
The Western Alliance for Greenhouse Action (WAGA) is a partnership of seven councils to the west of Melbourne including Cities of Brimbank, Hobsons Bay, Maribyrnong, Melton, Moonee Valley and Wyndham, and the Shire of Moorabool.
WAGA councils work collaboratively to respond to climate change across the region and encourage their communities – residents and businesses – to make a transition to a low carbon society.
To find out more visit - WAGA - Business Support Program
Victorian Energy Compare
One of the easiest ways to reduce energy costs is to compare energy offers.
Victorian Energy Compare is the Victorian Government's free and independent energy price comparison tool. It compares offers from more than 20 energy retailers across gas, electricity and solar, to help you find the best and cheapest energy offers.
To use Victorian Energy Compare, you'll need access to a device connected to the internet, a recent bill, and some information about your household. Victorian Energy Compare does the rest.
The comparison only takes about 10 minutes, and users can typically save $330 a year on energy costs.
Solar Victoria – Solar for Business Program
Solar Victoria delivers the Victorian Government’s Solar for Business Program. Under this program eligible Victorians can apply for a rebate to install solar panels (PV) for their business, with the option of an interest-free loan. Businesses who own their premises and those who rent can both apply for this rebate.
Find out more and check if your business is eligible here: Solar for Business Program | Solar Victoria
Victorian Energy Upgrades Program
Upgrading from inefficient appliances can help businesses cope with cold weather in winter and warm summer temperatures. It is also an ideal way to take control of your energy bills.
On average business can save $3,700. For larger businesses, dollar savings can run into the hundreds of thousands, depending on their upgrades.
The Victorian Energy Upgrades program helps businesses access to discounted energy-efficient products and services.
Visit Victorian Energy Upgrades Program for more information.
Plastic Wise Wyndham
Do you want to reduce plastics generated at your café or restaurant?
Sign-up now for Plastic Wise Wyndham!
Wyndham city is on a mission to reduce plastics! We have already committed to eliminating single use plastics at our facilities and events and we invite our Wyndham businesses to follow our lead. By joining the Plastic Wise Program, you will be helping to not only reduce litter and the amount of waste sent to landfill but also our communities’ reliance on single use plastics.
What about Plastic Wise Wyndham
Plastic Wise Wyndham is a pledge made by businesses to reduce the use of single-use plastics. Your business can be part of Plastic Wise Wyndham by pledging to reduce at least 3 out of 6 problematic single-use-plastics, including;
- water bottles
- polystyrene packaging and
- coffee cups and lids
Making a pledge doesn’t mean you are going completely plastic-free. It means that you are taking an important step in implementing changes to your business practice to help keep our environment clean and reduce your carbon footprint.
Benefits for your business
- In return, we will promote and share your effort on our website and social media channels; including Werribee City Centre and Green Living in Wyndham pages.
- You will receive Plastic Wise Wyndham starter kit, which includes window sticker to identify you as a Plastic Wise business.
- Decreased packaging costs over time as more customers participate in the BYO movement
- Attracting new customers who want to support a business making a difference
- Reducing your carbon footprint and contribution to landfill
- You’ll be helping to keep our streets, parks and rivers clean
We are here to support you with your sustainability journey and provide you with some practical guidance. Please download your starter kit.
To sign up for Plastic Wise Wyndham program, discuss more about the program and other sustainability initiatives, you can contact the Waste Strategy team at firstname.lastname@example.org.