Are you interested in gardening? Are you keen to attract native birds and other native wildlife to your garden?
Then why not become a Habitat Hero? This program is an exciting initiative to help Wyndham residents learn about using locally native (Australian) plants in their gardens and to create a small garden for wildlife.
No experience is necessary to join the project. You just need an interest in gardening and in helping to protect local plants and animals.
Our gardens provide an opportunity to support our unique plants and animals. Many local plants are great choices for landscaping, and can be used in any style of garden. In addition, your garden can provide a stepping stone for native birds and animals to move safely across our highly urbanised landscape.
Applications are now closed. The next round will occur in Spring 2017.
Our Habitat Heroes project provides practical guidance in how to create a habitat garden.
By participating you will:
- Discover our incredibly rich and diverse local flora and fauna.
- Learn how to work with our soils to help improve gardening success.
- Learn how to plan and develop a small wildlife garden.
- See how your garden can look by visiting a local native garden.
- Attend a tour of an indigenous nursery.
- Receive free plants and advice on designing your mini habitat garden from landscape experts.
- Get to know local residents with similar interests.
- Receive expert advice from a landscape designer.
If you have any questions please contact a member of the Natural Environment team on 9742 0777 or email firstname.lastname@example.org.