Active Kinders is a collaboration between Wyndham City and the community of Kindergartens in Wyndham, to encourage kinder aged children and their families to increase physical activity.
Download the Active Kinders Family Handout to understand what physical activity is, why it is so important for kids and tips on how the whole family can get active.
Why is being active so important for kids?
Sitting less and moving more has many health benefits for children including:
- Developing healthy bones, muscles, lungs and heart
- Improved coordination, strength, flexibility and balance
- Maintain a healthy body weight
- Their brain will develop vital connections, leading to improved concentration and thinking skills
- They are less likely to develop chronic diseases, such as heart disease and type 2 diabetes
How can Kinder kids and families get active?
- Play tag, swim, toss a ball, jump rope, hula-hoop or dance to music. It doesn’t have to be sports to get the family moving.
- Walk the dog, go for a jog or bike ride, take the stairs or head to the park and let kids run around.
- Celebrate special occasions—like birthdays or anniversaries—with something active, such as a hike, a volleyball or soccer game or playing Frisbee at the park.
- Get the whole family involved in household chores like cleaning, vacuuming, and yard work.
- Walk to Kinder, or if you must drive, find a spot at the far end of the car park or street to get some extra steps in.
Active Alex is an interactive program to help kinder families keep active at home and outdoors.
With the help of the Werribee Open Range Zoo, Wyndham City Kindergarten and Sport & Recreation teams have created the Active Alex pack containing a variety of family friendly fitness and sports equipment, template activity suggestions and step-by-step instructions.
Each week a child in the Kinder group will receive the Active Alex pack and challenged to organise a physical activity session with their family and ‘Alex’ the Eastern Barred Bandicoot.
Kids will have the opportunity to learn activities they can do at home or in the park as well as knowing more about the Eastern Barred Bandicoot, an endangered species home to the local Wyndham area.
The Active Alex program is available for all Kindergartens operating in Wyndham. Please contact email@example.com or 9742 0840 for more information.