Active Kinders is a collaboration between Wyndham City and the community of Kindergartens in Wyndham, to encourage kinder aged children and their families to increase physical activity.
Active Kinders Weekly Sessions – Mini Movers
Wyndham City has partnered with Mini Movers to offer Wyndham City enrolled kindergarten children free weekly activity sessions in 2023.
Mini Movers is a physical wellbeing program designed for kinder-aged children that uses sports as a fun way to improve motor skills as well as build social and emotional skills.
30-minute sessions are held all over Wyndham in 10 different locations across a 6-week program. All sessions are free!
See the weekly schedule below and links to book your preferred session – please only book one session each week, places are limited.
Any questions please contact:
- Tori (Mini Movers) email@example.com / (03) 5222 3911
- James (Wyndham City Sport & Recreation) firstname.lastname@example.org / 9742 0840
Manor Lakes Community Learning Centre
(86 Manor Lakes Boulevard, Wyndham Vale 3024)
Point Cook Community Learning Centre
(21 Cheetham Street, Point Cook 3030)
(Barrabool Boulevard, Wyndham Vale 3024)
Dianella Community Centre
(6 Congo Drive, Tarneit 3029)
Dunnings Road Reserve Pavilion
(Kingsley Avenue, Point Cook 3030)
Wyndham Park Community Centre
(57 Kookaburra Avenue, Werribee 3030)
Grange Community Centre
(260-280 Hogans Road, Hoppers Crossing VIC 3029)
Arndell Park Community Centre
(29-49 Federation Boulevard, Truganina 3029)
Mossfiel Reserve Netball Pavilion
(Next to netball courts - Mossfiel Drive, Hoppers Crossing 3029)
Why is being active so important for kids?
Sitting less and moving more has many health benefits for children including:
- Developing healthy bones, muscles, lungs and heart
- Improved coordination, strength, flexibility and balance
- Maintain a healthy body weight
- Their brain will develop vital connections, leading to improved concentration and thinking skills
- They are less likely to develop chronic diseases, such as heart disease and type 2 diabetes
How can Kinder kids and families get active?
- Play tag, swim, toss a ball, jump rope, hula-hoop or dance to music. It doesn’t have to be sports to get the family moving.
- Walk the dog, go for a jog or bike ride, take the stairs or head to the park and let kids run around.
- Celebrate special occasions—like birthdays or anniversaries—with something active, such as a hike, a volleyball or soccer game or playing Frisbee at the park.
- Get the whole family involved in household chores like cleaning, vacuuming, and yard work.
- Walk to Kinder, or if you must drive, find a spot at the far end of the car park or street to get some extra steps in.
Active Kinders Family Handout
Download the Active Kinders Family Handout to understand what physical activity is, why it is so important for kids and tips on how the whole family can get active.
Active Alex is an interactive program to help kinder families keep active at home and outdoors.
With the help of the Werribee Open Range Zoo, Wyndham City Kindergarten and Sport & Recreation teams have created the Active Alex pack containing a variety of family friendly fitness and sports equipment, template activity suggestions and step-by-step instructions.
Each week a child in the Kinder group will receive the Active Alex pack and challenged to organise a physical activity session with their family and ‘Alex’ the Eastern Barred Bandicoot.
Kids will have the opportunity to learn activities they can do at home or in the park as well as knowing more about the Eastern Barred Bandicoot, an endangered species home to the local Wyndham area.
The Active Alex program is available for all Kindergartens operating in Wyndham. Please contact email@example.com or 9742 0840 for more information.
Active Kinders Days
Active Kinders Days give children 3 to 6 years an opportunity to participate in free come and try sessions delivered by Wyndham providers.
Held every school holidays in different suburbs across Wyndham, Active Kinders Days are a fun and interactive way to discover local activities to give a go and learn how to continue participating into the future.
Each Active Kinders Day consists of:
- 4-5 Activity Providers
- 3 x 30-minute sessions allowing children to try out preferred activities
- Free healthy snacks and hydration station
Sign up to receive updates about the next Active Kinders Day here.
Check out the latest free and low cost activity sessions for all ages on the Active Wyndham Calendar.
Werribee Open Range Zoo – Kids & Educator Activities
Discover more about ‘Alex’ the Eastern Barred Bandicoot with Zoos Victoria.
- eBook – Listen and read along kids and parents/guardians
- Activity Sheet – Kids can colour in their own ‘Alex’ and his friends
- Kinders Educator Eastern Barred Bandicoot Toolkit
Kindergarten Educators can also access a range of free curriculum aligned resources including about the Eastern Barred Bandicoot and other Victorian unique wildlife.
- Kids Readers – Reading activities for classrooms
- Keeper Kids – Building a connection to the wonders of the natural world
- Animal Toolkits – 42 different Toolkits o threatened Victorian species, including: videos, scientific information, media links, actions you can take, and links to the Science curriculum