The process consists of 3 main milestones:

Planning Permit approved

  • Once the permit is issued, you will need to contact a licensed land surveyor who will be able to provide the necessary forms and draw up plans for certification
  • The planning permit may contain conditions that must be met prior to certification or prior to the issue of a statement of compliance. It is important that the landowner is familiar with the conditions on the permit

Certification of the Plan of Subdivision

  • The certification process involves the approval of a plan showing the proposed lots, size, area and any easements required
  • The permit may require certain actions to be completed prior to the certification of the Plan of Subdivision 

Issue of a Statement of Compliance

  • A Statement of Compliance is required before a separate title can be created for each of the lots on the certified plan
  • In order to obtain a Statement of Compliance, each of the referral authorities must advise Wyndham City that all of the permit conditions they have required have been met to the authority’s satisfaction
  • There may also be other conditions included in your planning permit such as a requirement for a Section 173 Agreement, Road Opening Permit, Landscaping and car parking or Telecommunications confirmation) that must be met prior to the issue of a Statement of Compliance.
  • Once a Statement of Compliance has been issued, you (or your surveyor or solicitor) will need to lodge it at Land Victoria along with the required documentation. Land Victoria will then create individual titles for the lots in your subdivision

The State Government provides the online service known as SPEAR (Surveying and Planning through Electronic Applications and Referrals), allowing subdivision planning permit and certification applications to be compiled, lodged, managed, referred, approved and tracked online, anytime.


How long does the subdivision process take?

If using the electronic system of SPEAR, the certification application is referred electronically to relevant referral authorities such as City West Water, Melbourne Water, Powercor, and Tenix, otherwise authorities are notified in writing.  Authorities have 28 days in which to respond with any conditions to be placed on the application. 

Your plans cannot be certified until a planning permit is issued for the subdivision.  This process can take up to 60 days or more if further information is required.  The two processes can run concurrently.

Back to top