What is a Seed Library?
The Wyndham Seed Library aims to build food resilience and promote sustainable gardens by supporting local community, share seeds and grow their own produce and habitat gardens.
Growing from the Seed Library is a great way for children and young people to learn about the life cycle of plants and sustainable gardening.
Become a Seed Library Member
This will be connected to your Wyndham City Libraries membership.
Collect (Borrow) Seeds
A lot of plants are seasonal so we cannot guarantee what seeds will be available but you can contact us to find out on 8734 8930 or WyndhamSeedLibrary@wyndham.vic.gov.au
Grow then harvest and share your seeds.
After growing in your garden, harvest and return seeds for others to borrow. This will help us keep the seed Library thriving.
If members donate seeds they can collect more seeds that month or receive credit for future seeds.
The more you donate, the more seeds you can collect!
Seed Library members are not obligated to donate seeds. Sometimes growing from seeds does not go as planned but everyone is encouraged to contribute to the Seed Library.
Keep an eye out for upcoming seed saving and other gardening workshops to learn new skills.
Wyndham City is a participating Council of My Smart Garden, a free sustainable gardening program that helps you get started growing food and transforming your outdoor space (yards, balconies or pots) into a beautiful, functional garden.
Check out this My Smart Garden workshop – Heirloom Seeds: how to save grow and share them with Kat Lavers. View Video
Build your seed saving skills with these titles available at Wyndham City Libraries:
- Community gardening : the beginners' guide to growing crops in a small place by Simon Akeroyd
- Edible gardens : a practical guide by Craig Castree
- Seedswap : the gardener's guide to saving and swapping seeds by Jeffery Josie
- The Little Veggie Patch Co : an A-Z guide to growing food in small spaces by Mat Pember
- The seed garden : the art and practice of seed saving by Micaela Colley
- The seed saver's handbook : harvesting, storing, and sowing techniques for vegetables, herbs, nad fruits by Andrea Heistinger
To find out more or stay in touch
Follow Wyndham City libraries on Facebook for latest updates including workshops.
Join the eNewsletters to keep up to date with Wyndham Seed library information and seed harvesting workshops
Contact: Manor Lakes Library: 8734 8930 or WyndhamSeedLibrary@wyndham.vic.gov.au