Prescribed accommodation businesses include motels or bed and breakfasts, if the premises accommodate 6 or more guests in accordance with the Public Health and Wellbeing Act 2008.

Registering a prescribed accommodation business

Wyndham City registers and monitors all prescribed accommodation businesses in Wyndham. All accommodation businesses must register their premises with Wyndham City. 

To register your prescribed accommodation business, you will need to do the following:

  • Step 1: Check if you need a Planning Permit and/or Building Permit. Prior to making an application you need to obtain all relevant Planning and Building Permits.  If a Planning or Building Permit is required, do not commence any work on the premises until you have received the required permits.
  • Step 2: Submit your plans for approval. You need to submit a copy of the premises' floor plan and have approval before commencing works to the premises. You need to submit the following:

      a) A plan of the premises drawn to a scale of not less than 1:100 showing:

  • Location of fixtures, furniture and equipment such as beds, tables, cupboards
  • Number of occupants in each room
  • Floor area of each room
  • Proposed use of each room

      b) A completed plan assessment form must be submitted and pay a fee.

  • Step 3: Final inspection and application for registration. Once the premises has been given final approval to open for business, the Wyndham City Environmental Health Officer will require a completed Public Health and Wellbeing Act New Registration Form and payment of fees.

Once payment has been processed, the Certificate of Registration will be posted out to you within 2 weeks.

Purchasing an existing prescribed accommodation business

You must arrange an inspection by a Wyndham City Environmental Health Officer of the prescribed accommodation premises before you purchase the business. The inspection will help determine what work needs to be done to bring the premises up to standard.

You will need to download, complete and submit the following forms and pay a fee prior to inspection:

Rooming Houses

Under the Public Health and Wellbeing Act the rooming house must be registered with Wyndham City’s Environmental Health Unit.

You must submit a floor plan of the premises providing room dimensions and the number of occupants for each room and pay a yearly registration fee. Wyndham City’s Environmental Health Unit will inspect the premises each year. Wyndham City is able to issue fines to people who fail to register a rooming house.

Rooming House Facilities

Rooming house proprietors must maintain the premises in good working order, in a good state of repair and in a clean and sanitary condition. There must be a continuous supply of hot and cold water to all bathing, laundry and kitchen facilities.  Drinking water must be fit for human consumption.

Sufficient vermin proof receptacles must be provided for collection and storage of rubbish.

Hard wired smoke alarms must be installed and lighting activated by the smoke alarms must be provided to assist evacuation.

For every 10 people accommodated the following is required:

  • At least one toilet; and
  • At least one bath or shower; and
  • At least one wash basin

Room Sizes

The minimum room sizes are as follows:

  • One resident 7 square metres
  • Two residents 12 square metres
  • Every additional resident add 4 square metres for each additional person

New Rooming Houses

All new rooming houses in new or existing dwellings must provide disabled access as set out in AS1428.1/2009. This includes ramps, a disabled toilet, door widths suitable for wheelchairs and other aspects of disabled access.


An Authorised Officer of Wyndham City’s Environmental Health Unit is able to inspect a rooming house at any reasonable time during the day without the owner’s consent. There are penalties for refusing entry to an Authorised Officer.

      Update Proprietor Contact Details

      If your proprietor contact details have changed, please complete our online form.

      For further information about contact:

      • Wyndham City’s Environmental Health Unit on 9742 0738
      • Wyndham City’s Building Unit on 9742 0716
      • Consumer Affairs Victoria on 1300 55 81 81
        Back to top