Hobsons Bay, Maribyrnong, Brimbank, Stonington, Yarra and Moreland Councils.
My smart garden is a free sustainable gardening program that helps you get started growing food and transforming your outdoor space (yards, balconies or pots) into a beautiful, functional garden.
They can help you become more resilient and lower your bills by producing food, shading your home from summer heat and turning waste into valuable resources.
The program takes a holistic approach to sustainable home gardening across five elements:
- Food: improving access to healthy, local and sustainably produced food;
- Shelter: planting trees and vines to create a greener, more comfortable microclimate that is sheltered from sun and wind and more resilient to the changing climate;
- Waste: recycling food and other organic waste into valuable organic mulch and fertiliser;
- Water: capturing and using rainwater and greywater wisely; and
- Habitat: support biodiversity by planting food and habitat for beneficial insects, native plants, birds and animals.
Check out the My Smart Garden website for upcoming workshops and sign up for the newsletter to get more gardening tips!
My Smart Garden Videos
In partnership with Melbourne Horticulturists Kat Lavers, Craig Castree and Scott Hitchins, My Smart Garden has developed a series of short gardening videos with great tips on starting and maintaining your garden.