Get coding! It’s Wyndham Coding Champs time!
Share your original Scratch games and animations!
Congratulations to all the participants!!
Please click here to view all entries.
The winners for this years coding champs are:
Senior Game: Blaise with there game "The Ninja Spaceship Escape"
Senior Animation: Areeb with there animation "Dolphin loop animation"
Junior Game: Daniya with there game "Dino egg rescue"
Junior Animation: Taseen with there animation "Life Story of a Stickman"
The shortlisted entries for this year are:
How to enter
- Read through these instructions and all the information on this page.
- Talk to your parents or legal guardian and make sure you have their permission to enter the competition.
- Log in to Scratch (https://scratch.mit.edu/). If you already have an account you can log in using your existing account, otherwise you will need to create one.
- Make sure you do not have your real name on your Scratch account. This is important for the competition, but it’s also important to not share personal information on the internet in general.
- Create your game and/or animation, make sure you’re happy with it and it’s finished.
- Make sure you don’t use media that is protected by copyright. Instead, create your own media (graphics and sound), use the built-in Scratch media content, or use Creative Commons content that can be remixed and shared.
- Share your game! This is super important! (otherwise we can’t see your game).
- Get your parent or legal guardian to submit your entry for you. They will need to complete the entry form at https://www.wyndham.vic.gov.au/libraries/kids/coding-champs, and include a link to your completed project.
- You can only submit one entry per category that you’re eligible for (so one game, and one animation).
- We’ll review your entry. The judges will score your entry and if you make it to the shortlist we’ll add it to the Wyndham Coding Champs Studio on Scratch.
- Make sure you check out the studio to play the other shortlisted entries!
- Come along to the Wyndham Coding Champs awards night to celebrate, play games and find out who the winners are!
There are two entry categories for Wyndham Coding Champs
Junior (Ages 7-11):
- Scratch game
- Scratch animation
Senior (Ages 12-15):
- Scratch game
- Scratch animation
The judging process
All competition entries will be reviewed anonymously by this process:
Step 1: Does the entry meet the entry guidelines? If it does it will progress to step 2. If it doesn’t, it will not progress. The entrant will not be notified if the entry does not progress to step 2.
Step 2: Judges will review and score the entry based on:
- Game playability (game categories only)
- Story and instructions
Scores will not be made public.
Step 4: A shortlist of entries will be made based on entry score. Shortlisted entries will be shared on the Wyndham Coding Champs Studio (https://scratch.mit.edu/studios/14853018/).
Step 3: A winner in each category will be decided based on judging scores. If a tie occurs and there is no clear winner, judges will meet to decide on a winner from tied entries.
Step 4: Winners will be announced at the Wyndham Coding Champs event during International Games Month.
Wyndham Coding Champs 2022 Terms and Conditions
- This competition is run by Wyndham City Council in the state of Victoria, Australia only.
- By submitting your child’s entry to this competition, you:
- confirm that you are their parent or legal guardian (‘parent’);
- consent to your child entering this competition; and
- accept these terms and conditions of entry.
- Entries that do not comply with these terms and conditions will not be valid and will not be accepted.
- Entrants must be aged between 7 and 15 (as at 8 October 2022) and must either be a member or have a parent who is a member of Wyndham City Libraries. Council staff, Councillors and their immediate families are not eligible to enter.
- To enter the competition, you must submit a properly completed entry form via Council’s website that includes a link to your child’s game or animation that they have created using Scratch, between 12:00pm on 15 August 2022 and 11:59pm on 7 October 2022. Entries which are incomplete or are received outside of this period will not be accepted.
- You acknowledge and agree that:
- your child must create a Scratch account in order to create their entry, which must be retained for the duration of the competition;
- your child may delete their Scratch account at any time, however if such a request is made prior to 11 November 2022, their entry will also be deleted and as such, be invalid.
- Only one entry per entrant per entry category will be accepted. You acknowledge and agree that if your child submits multiple entries, they will only be eligible for a maximum of one prize in the entire competition.
- Entries must be the your child’s own original work and must not contain any offensive or inappropriate content, or infringe a third party’s intellectual property rights. Council reserves the right to exclude from entry any entries which in its reasonable opinion breaches this condition.
- Entries will be judged by Council staff between 10 October and 4 November 2022. One winner per entry category will be chosen, based on the judging criteria published on Council’s website. Each winner will receive a $50 JB Hi-Fi gift card (total prize pool valued at $200). Refer to JB Hi-Fi’s website for terms and conditions for the redemption of gift cards.
- Entries that have been shortlisted by the judges will be added to the Wyndham Coding Champs Studio on Scratch by 5 November 2022.
- Winners will be announced at the Wyndham Coding Champs 2022 online awards night, to be held on 11 November 2022 via Microsoft Teams. Awards night details will be sent by email by 4 November 2022.
- Winners and shortlisted entrants’ names may subsequently be published on Council’s website and social media pages.
- If a winner’s parent cannot be contacted by 5:00pm on 18 November 2022, Council may opt to conduct further judging to determine a new winner.
- If a prize has not been claimed by 5:00pm on 25 November 2022, the winner will be deemed to have surrendered the prize and Council may opt to conduct further judging to award the unclaimed prize.
- All entrants will be awarded a certificate of participation, which must be collected from a Wyndham City Libraries branch by 16 December 2022.
- Council reserves the right not to award a prize in any category.
- Prizes are not transferable or exchangeable for cash.
- You acknowledge that your child retains copyright in their entry.
- You consent to the sharing of your child’s entry to the Wyndham Coding Champs Studio on Scratch and at the Wyndham Coding Champs 2022 awards night. You further consent to the publication of your child’s entry, their first name and their age on Council’s website and social media pages for the purpose of promoting the Wyndham Coding Champs 2022 competition.
- You must indemnify and hold harmless Council, its councillors and employees against all costs, claims and liability arising in connection with a breach or potential breach of these terms and conditions.
- Where you have opted to join the Wyndham City Libraries mailing list, you acknowledge and agree that Council may periodically provide you with promotional material by email. You acknowledge that you can unsubscribe from this mailing list at any time.
- Council accepts no responsibility for late, lost, incomplete, corrupt or invalid entries.
- If for any reason, the competition cannot be run as planned, Council reserves the right to cancel, terminate, alter or suspend the competition and/or modify these terms and conditions.
- Council’s decisions are final and no correspondence will be entered into.