To construct a crossover (driveway), extend, or relocate a crossover, reinstate council assets or water tapping you must obtain a Road Opening Permit.

If you are applying for a Road Opening Permit you need to download and read the Crossover Permits Guidelines and Application Form and complete and submit the Crossover/Road Opening Permit Application Form and pay the permit fee.

Approval for permits

If you require approval for a permit e.g. Road Open Permit, you need to make an appointment prior to coming into the Wyndham City Civic Centre. Appointment times are between 8am to 1:30pm and from 2:30pm to 4:30pm. If you submit all the required documentation a permit can be issued during your appointment.  If you have not submitted all the required documentation the permit approval will be issued in the statutory required timeframe of 10 days.

Crossover inspection

You are required to have the permit, receipt of payment and any relevant documentation at the crossover inspection prior to the pouring of the concrete. A Road Opening Permit is valid for 6 months from the date of issue.

Protection of Council Assets

Prior to commencement to building work (including work that does not require a building permit) Council must be notified about what, if any damage already exists to road assets, footpaths, kerb and channel, drainage pits, nature strips etc. For details visit Protection of Council Assets.

For further information or to book an appointment contact the Engineering Services team, phone 9742 0777 or email

Back to top