The Keeping Pets in Wyndham brochure is available for all residents. Here are some important points to consider before you take ownership of a pet and before you construct a kennel or aviary:

  • The area where the animal is located must be kept clean and the animal should not be in any danger. This is in accordance with the codes of practice developed by the Department of Primary Industries and the Prevention of Cruelty to Animals Act.
  • Structures such as kennels and aviaries must be at least 1.25 metres from any boundary fence and not more than 2.5 metres high.
  • Pets cannot be kept in the front yard of your home.
  • All food stored for animals must be in secure containers.
  • Large structures or kennels housing more than four dogs must have town planning approval and may need to comply with requirements of the Domestic Animals Act 1994.
  • Greyhounds have special requirements and permits may be required by Local Laws and Town Planning departments.

Keeping your cat inside

You can keep your cat in the house or flat with you, or in the garage or shed with a litter tray and a bowl of water or install a cat enclosure.

A cat enclosure can be attached to an existing structure, such as a patio or fence, or free standing.

There are many benefits to keeping your cats inside. Roaming cats can get hit by cars, injured in fights, become disorientated and not find their way home or infected with diseases such as Feline Immunodeficiency Virus (FIV) and Zoonosis. Zoonosis are animal diseases that may also be transmitted and affect humans. For example, intestinal worms, ringworm, giardia, sarcoptes, cat scratch disease and toxoplasmos.

For further details visit the Greencross Vets website.

Keeping of Poultry

Under Wyndham City Council’s Community Amenity Local Law (2023), you are permitted to keep up to 6 hens without a permit, but no roosters. 

  • The hens must be kept in a coop in the rear of the yard and not permitted to free range around your property.
  • Their coop must be at least 1.25 metres from the boundary of any adjoining premises unless the building has solid walls on the side facing adjoining property and must not be more than 2.5 metres high.  This means the solid wall of your coop can be against the fence.  The reasons for not permitting free ranging on your property is for the safety of your chicken.  If you have dogs next-door, the chicken scratching near a fence line can excite a dog and it may attempt to get into your property and even cats will attack chickens so you want to keep them safe.  Chickens can live happily in a coop and supply you with a bounty of egg provided you can do the following.
  • Provide lots of quality chicken food/pellets and scraps, room to scratch around safely, have fresh water available and being sure not to feed them the following:
    • Citrus fruits and peels (they can cause a drop in egg production)
    • Bones
    • Any large serving of meat, or meat that has gone bad
    • Garlic and onion (unless you want your eggs tasting like them)
    • Avocado skins and pits
    • Raw potato skins
    • Long cut grass
    • Chocolate (as if you'd give that up!)

If you are unsure of anything you can call the Legislative Services department on 9742 0811 to speak to an Officer.

Keeping of Pigeons

All pigeons must also be kept in a loft. You can only allow your birds to exercise for two hours after sunrise and two hours before sunset, exceptions are for race pigeon events.

If you are participating in an event or you have any questions phone Wyndham City. All lofts must be located at the rear of your property.

Rabbits and Guinea Pigs

Rabbits and guinea pigs must be kept in a hutch or similar structure at all times.  All hutches and cages must be located at the rear of your property.

Other Pets

You cannot keep farm animals or livestock, including ducks in residential areas. The keeping of reptiles and wildlife is governed by the Department of Primary Industries and some species require permits from this department.

It is your responsibility to ensure you have the relevant permit/licence and to adhere to the codes of practice for keeping the animal.

To understand what you can and cannot have (with or without a permit), take a look at our Community Amenity – Local Law.

Back to top