The City Forest and Habitat Strategy (2017 – 2040) aims for Wyndham to be a vibrant living ecosystem with shade and green spaces that support healthy communities and resilient, connected, natural environments.
By implementing this Strategy, Wyndham will:
- Be threaded with natural habitat corridors to foster biodiversity including local wildlife;
- Have a significant increase in tree coverage and diversity;
- Incorporate natural ecosystems into urban areas;
- Provide residents access to nature for recreation and enhanced experiences of public spaces;
- Use vegetation to stabilise urban temperature and humidity as well as increasing resilience to a changing climate; and,
- Facilitate the exchange of information about urban and rural living, well-being and ecological integration.
Areas of focus of the strategy include protecting and enhancing the environment of:
- The Werribee River
- Little River
- The Volcanic Plains Grasslands and Woodlands
- Urban Habitat Connections
- Parks and Reserves
We will work with Wyndham’s community and other key stakeholders to implement this strategy.