The NDIS and aged care reforms are among the largest social reforms ever introduced in Australia, giving older people and people with disability greater choice and control over who provides the services they receive.

The NDIS is a new way of providing individual support for eligible people with disability. Participants will receive funding based on individual plans. Eligible participants will be able to ‘shop around’ for services. The National Disability Agency (NDIA) is responsible for implementing the NDIS.

Under the NDIS, people with a disability, their families and carers will have control over how, when and where their funding is spent. The NDIS will work with participants to make sure they have plans in place to meet their goals.

Similarly, the Federal Government’s reforms to Australia’s aged care system gives older people and their families the ability to ‘shop around’ for services, in turn giving them greater choice and control over who provides in-home care.

What does NDIS mean for me?

If you are already receiving disability support services, you will be contacted by the National Disability Insurance Agency (NDIA) as the NDIS rolls out in the City of Wyndham. Once you have registered, the NDIA will work with you to develop a plan develop which focuses on your goals and supports required to achieve these goals. Some plans might be developed over the phone but anyone can request a face to face planning session. 

If you are not currently receiving any disability supports, but wish to join the scheme, contact the NDIA and ask to complete an “Access Request Form”. 

When does the NDIS role out in Wyndham?

The NDIS roll-out in Wyndham commences in October 2018 for eligible people aged under 65 years or under 50 years for Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander people.

Will Council provide NDIS services?

Wyndham City has taken the decision not to register as a NDIS provider at this point in time.

If you are eligible for the NDIS and you currently receive services through Council you will continue to receive these services until your NDIS plan is implemented.

Where can I find more information about the NDIS?

Council understands there is a level of uncertainty in the community as a result of these changes and that community members will have questions.

Council encourages residents, carers or their families who have questions or are seeking more information to visit the NDIS website, or contact the NDIS directly.  Details are also available on Wyndham City’s website.

Information sessions are currently being run in Wyndham.  Upcoming information session details can be found on the Wyndham website, or by contacting Wyndham City.

Where can I find more information?

If you would like further information about Council’s decision or have any questions please

Wyndham City Aged Care Support Services

What is changing in Aged Care?

There are national reforms underway for Aged Care. The Government is reforming the national Aged Care system to allow for greater choice and control and to make it easier to access services.

One of the reforms which is already underway is My Aged Care. Eligible people aged 65 and over and Aboriginal people aged 50 and over can contact My Aged Care to discuss their needs.  A plan is then developed and clients can choose providers through the My Aged Care website.

What is the Wyndham City Aged Care Service Statement?

The Wyndham City Service Statement provides the decision-making framework and principles for current and future aged care service planning.  The Statement commits Council to a holistic approach to support the experience of ageing in Wyndham.

Download Wyndham City Aged Care Service Statement

In-Home Care services transition FAQs

Why will Council no longer be providing these services?

The Federal Government has introduced reforms to Australia’s aged care system aimed at giving older people and their families greater choice and control in entry-level aged care services.      

As part of this, Council will no longer deliver home support services including in-home personal care, domestic assistance (including shopping and meal preparation) and flexible respite services after 31 December 2020 for people aged over 65 or over 50 for people of Aboriginal and Torres Strait Island background. These services are funded under the Federal Government’s Commonwealth Home Support Program. The Federal Government has appointed Bolton Clarke to take over the running of these important services from 1 January 2021.

Wyndham City will continue to provide the following aged care services, which are significantly subsidised or funded by Council:

  • Delivered meals
  • Social support (including planned activity groups and Lunch with the Bunch)
  • Home modifications and home maintenance
  • Community transport
  • In-home support for people aged under 65 or under 50 for people of Aboriginal or Torres Strait Island background

Council will continue to work towards ways in which we can deliver these services to better meet the needs of older residents.

What do these changes mean for me, and what do I need to do?

Your Council-provided in-home services will be delivered by a new provider from 1 January 2021, meaning you will need to transfer to a new provider before then. If you give consent for Bolton Clarke to take over as your service provider, Council will pass on your details to them. 

If you decide to proceed with Bolton Clarke, your local Bolton Clarke team will be in touch in November to answer any questions and ensure a smooth transition. Initially, you will receive a letter with additional information about your new Bolton Clarke services. This will include information about how to contact Bolton Clarke if you have any questions.

Residents are under no obligation to use Bolton Clarke and Council can help residents work through the Federal Government’s My Aged Care website to find a provider of your choice.

What is the My Aged Care website, and why do I need it?

The My Aged Care website provides information about, and access to, Government-funded aged care services.

People aged 65 and over and Aboriginal or Torres Strait Islander people aged 50 and over can contact My Aged Care to discuss their needs, including services and support available, how to access support and how to choose a provider.

If you haven’t already created a My Aged Care account or if you need assistance accessing My Aged Care, please contact Council on 8734 4514. We’re happy to help.

Who is Bolton Clarke and why have they been chosen as the new provider?

Bolton Clarke is the new name for the Royal District Nursing Service (RDNS), which started in Melbourne in 1885. They are one of the largest Australian-owned and operated not-for-profit healthcare and aged care service providers and provide services to more than 43,000 people across Australia.

Council worked closely with both the community and service providers to understand which providers would be best placed to deliver the in-home personal care, domestic assistance and flexible respite services currently being delivered by Council. Following an extensive evaluation process, Council recommended three service providers to the Federal Government for their consideration. The Federal Government used their own processes to choose Bolton Clarke from this list.

Can I start my services with Bolton Clarke earlier?

No. Bolton Clarke’s contract with the Federal Government to deliver in-home personal care, domestic assistance and flexible respite in Wyndham begins on 1 January 2021.  This means Bolton Clarke is unable to provide these services earlier.

You are welcome to call Bolton Clarke on 1300 22 11 22 if you would like to discuss other services that may be available under alternative programs.

What can I expect to happen during the changeover period?

Council will continue to provide in-home aged-care support services, including domestic assistance, personal care and respite, until 31 December 2020.

From 1 January 2021, Bolton Clarke or another service provider of your choice will take over the delivery of these services.

Council has a long history as a provider of in-home support services in Wyndham and we are working closely with the Federal Government and Bolton Clarke to ensure a smooth and seamless transition during the changeover period and beyond.

Will there be a difference in the quality of care?

We understand that quality of care is one of the most important factors when selecting in-home support. These changes aim to give you greater choice and control when choosing who you want to deliver that level of care.

You can compare providers by visiting the My Aged Care website and visiting the Bolton Clarke website to determine which service provider is right for you (contact details are below).

Can I keep the same carer?

Services will be provided by your chosen service provider’s team of nurses and carers.

Will my co-contribution change?

This is dependent on the provider you choose.

If you decide to proceed with Bolton Clarke, there will be a small increase in your co-contribution to align with recommended Commonwealth Home Support Programme contributions set by the Federal Government. Your local Bolton Clarke team will provide more details on what this will mean for you.

My fees were less at the Council, why do I have to pay more with Bolton Clarke?

Bolton Clarke and other service providers receive funds from the Federal Government through the Commonwealth Home Support Programme, along with a contribution from you, to help them deliver in-home care. The Government requires service providers such as Bolton Clarke to ask for contributions from clients towards the cost of services.

Bolton Clarke’s fees policy is based on this programme.

What if I can’t afford to pay?

Importantly, no client will be refused a service at Bolton Clarke because they are unable to pay the full co-contribution. If required, at admission Bolton Clarke will discuss your ability to contribute towards your services and negotiate a charge based on your individual circumstances.

Where can I find more information?

If you have any questions or would like any further information:

If you have any questions or would like any further information;

Back to top