Pool & Spa Barrier Compliance

The Victorian Government has introduced legislation for all residential pools and spas aimed at improving safety and saving lives. Under the legislation, owners must register their pool or spa with their local Council:

•    by 1 June 2020, or 
•    when a certificate of final inspection or occupancy permit has been issued for a new pool or spa.

Once the pool or spa is registered, a building inspector must determine whether its barrier complies with safety requirements. If the pool or spa barrier is not compliant, owners must fix it or install a new barrier. 

When a building inspector is satisfied the pool or spa barrier is compliant, they will issue a Certificate of Barrier Compliance, which owners must lodge with Council.

Pool and spa owners are required to obtain and lodge Certificates of Barrier Compliance every four years.

An inspection of your pool or spa barrier can only be carried out by:

•    a registered building surveyor
•    a registered building inspector
•    a municipal building surveyor

Wyndham City Council have registered inspectors that can be appointed to inspect a pool/spa, or a private inspector can be appointed. If you are wanting to use a Council inspector, a Pool Inspection Appointment Form is required to be submitted – see appointment form below.

Alternatively, you can search for a registered building practitioner authorised to carry out inspections and certification using the Find a practitioner tool.

For more information and FAQ, please visit the Victorian Building Authority website.

Failure to meet your obligations under the new legislation may result in fines.

Download - Application for Registration of Swimming Pool or Spa

Download - Pool Inspection Appointment Form

Pool & Spa Barrier Compliance


What kind of pools and spas need to be registered?

The new laws apply to swimming pools and spas that are capable of holding more than 300mm (30cm) of water. This includes permanent pools, above ground pools, indoor pools, hot tubs, bathing or wading pools and some relocatable pools.

Which relocatable pools don’t need to register?

Relocatable pools that do not consist of multiple components and do not require any assembly are not subject to the requirements. An example of such a product is a small inflatable pool that requires no assembly other than inflation.

I have a permit with the Council, do I still need to register?

Yes, you still need to register with the Council via the registration form, regardless of a previous permit submitted. This is due to the new laws requiring all Victorians who own property with a pool or spa to register with their Council.

What happens if I didn’t register by 1 November 2020?

You may face a fine or penalty. Council is following up with owners of pools and spas that have not registered and as a last resort will issue infringement notices to owners that don’t register.

Back to top