The Words of Wyndham 2017 short story, graphic short, poetry and flash fiction winners and shortlists were announced on 2 November 2017, and are now listed below.
Wyndham City Libraries’ first adult writing competition has finished. Around 400 entries were received, with an impressive display of the talent from across Australia and locally in Wyndham. To narrow the entries down to a shortlist for each category was very difficult and judges Adam Ford and Bernard Caleo had a hard task to pick the winners.
An anthology of the winning and other shortlisted entries is being published. Themes of the stories and poems range from suicide, family violence and mourning, to online dating, Easter eggs and birds.
Print copies are available to borrow from branches, and a free digital copy will soon be available here.
- A Colour Of Loss by Freya Cox
- Aviary by Tess Corbel [Winner]
- Forecast by A. Di Martino
- In the New Land by Caroline Miley
- One Hundred Strokes by Chris Childs [Local Encouragement Award]
Graphic Short Stories
- Curious-01 by Eric Le
- Katabatic by Jennifer Reuter [Local Encouragement Award]
- Modern Transport by Tegan New [Winner]
- The Secret Dreams of Mum by C.A. Clark
- Umara’s Dragons by Sharra Veltheer
- As Old as the Hills by Helen Cerne
- Charles Said by Mitchell Shepherd
- Hymn of the Wind by Christine L. Bulandus [Local Encouragement Award]
- The Watch by Melissa Favasuli
- Vagrant by Ruth Macaulay
- Your Greatest Trick by Kris Tammer [Winner]
- Carrot Cake by Linda Chen
- Dissonance by Suzi Mezei
- Into the Mist by Coral Waight
- On Trial by Daniel J. Thompson [Local Encouragement Award]
- Robbery by C. A. Broadribb
- Winnie Carver by Rebecca Handler [Winner]
Prizes will be in the form of vouchers; for membership and/or workshops of Writers Victoria, or gift cards from Dymocks or Robinsons Bookshop.
- Short Story Prize $400 - 1000-3000 words
- Graphic Short Story Prize $400 - 4-8 x A4 pages, minimum 2 illustrated panels per page
- Poetry Prize $200 - Maximum 60 lines
- Flash Fiction Prize $80 - 100-500 words
- Wyndham City Local Encouragement Awards - awarded to the best shortlisted local entry in each category
Rules and Conditions
All sections and information in this document form part of these Terms and Conditions. Participation in this competition is deemed acceptance of these Terms and Conditions on the part of the participant and their parent/guardian (where applicable). The Promoter is Wyndham City Council (ABN: 38 393 903 860), PO Box 197 Werribee.
- Assessment of eligibility will be made at the discretion of the Wyndham City Libraries which will exercise its judgement, according to the following conditions, in ruling on questions of eligibility. The ruling of the Coordinator, Library Programs and Services, on questions of eligibility is final, and no further correspondence will be entered into.
- The Wyndham City Libraries will request verification of eligibility before winners are announced. Verification may include proof of age, or address.
- Wyndham City Council employees, Words of Wyndham Writing Competition sponsors, Words of Wyndham Writing Competition adjudicators, and their relatives and household members are ineligible to enter.
- Entrants must reside in Australia.
- To be eligible for Wyndham City Local Encouragement Award, the entrant must live in Wyndham City.
- For Short story, Poetry and Flash story categories, entrants must be aged 18 years or over on the Closing Date.
- For Short Graphic Story, entrants must be aged 15 years or over on the Closing Date. Entrants in this category under 18 years must have parent or guardian consent.
- The competition is only open to amateur writers. ‘Amateur’ is defined as someone who is not currently earning their primary or regular income as a writer.
- Only one entry per category per author may be submitted.
- Only one prize may be won by any one entrant. If an entrant enters more than one category, only the higher prize value will be awarded.
- The story must be original and should not have been published anywhere in full or in part before November 1st, 2017. Published work is taken to mean published in any printed, publicly accessible form, e.g. anthology, magazine, newspaper, and online sites, with the exception of personal blogs and personal websites.
- All entries must be in English. Translations of stories written in languages other than English are eligible if submitted by the writer (not the translator).
- Entries will only be accepted via the online entry form.
- Submission of an entry is taken as acceptance of the rules.
- Entrants agree as a condition of entry that Wyndham City Libraries may announce the entrants’ name and publish it with their work if it is short-listed or awarded a prize.
- Worldwide copyright of each story remains with the writer. Wyndham City Libraries will have the unrestricted right to publish the winning stories and other distinguished entries in an anthology and for promotional purposes.
- Entries must be made by the writer (and, for graphic fiction, the artist).
- The story must be the entrant’s own work.
- Entries will only be eligible for judging if submitted:
- In a pdf document or Microsoft Word document - meeting the length limits of the relevant category.
- With the title of the story as the filename
- Pages numbered and contain the title in the header
- The author’s (and artist’s/translator’s) name must NOT appear anywhere on or in the uploaded document, only in the entry form. All entries are judged anonymously.
- Text must be legible (eg, in Arial 12 point font or similar).
- The work should be aimed at an adult audience
- Story content must be suitable for publication. Entries cannot win if their content is illegal, threatening, defamatory, invasive of privacy, infringing of intellectual property rights, indecent, libellous, hateful, obscene, or otherwise injurious to third parties or are otherwise objectionable.
- Wyndham City Libraries reserve the right to not award a prize in any category where entries are of insufficient quality.
- All eligible entries will be read by a team of experienced readers and considered according to: Originality, Impact, Characterisation, Imagery, Drama, Style & Presentation, Language and Form.
- The final selection will be judged by professional writers. The decisions made by the adjudicators are final and no correspondence will be entered into.
- The winners will be notified and eligibility confirmed within five working days of the judges’ decision. Winners will be announced at the Words of Wyndham Prize Award Storytime.
- If any prize is unavailable, Wyndham City Council reserves the right at its sole and absolute discretion to substitute the prize with a prize of equal value and/or specification of the equal prize.
- Prizes are awarded subject to the standard terms and conditions of the individual prize and service providers.
- If for any reason a winner does not take ownership of the prize by the time and date stipulated by Wyndham City Council, the prize will be forfeited.
- It is the responsibility of the entrants to ensure that their contact details are correct. Entrants must notify Wyndham City Council of any changes to their contact details prior to the date that winners are announced. Wyndham City Council will not be liable if it cannot contact any winner because of any incorrect contact details provided to it by an entrant.
- Any cost associated with accessing the promotional website is the entrant’s responsibility and is dependent on the internet service provider used.
- Wyndham City Council accepts no responsibility for late, lost, incomplete, incorrectly submitted, delayed, illegible, corrupted or misdirected entries, claims or correspondence, whether due to error, omission, alteration, tampering, deletion, theft, destruction, transmission interruption, communications failure or otherwise. Wyndham City Council is not liable for any consequences of user error including without limitation, costs incurred.
- Wyndham City Council, its affiliates and agents are not responsible in any way for the content of entries, nor do they necessarily endorse the content.
- If the Competition is interfered with in any way, or is not capable of being conducted as reasonably anticipated due to any reason beyond the reasonable control of Wyndham City Council, including but not limited to: technical difficulties, tampering, infection by computer virus or bug, bad weather or other acts of God, unauthorised intervention or fraud, or any other causes beyond the control of Wyndham City Council which corrupts or affects the administration, security, fairness, integrity or proper conduct of the competition, Wyndham City Council reserves the right, in its sole and absolute discretion, to the fullest extent permitted by law to (a) disqualify any entrant; (b) to modify, suspend, terminate or cancel the competition as appropriate.
- Wyndham City Council will not be responsible for any act, omission, failure or delay not reasonably within its control.
- Nothing in these terms and conditions limits, excludes or modifies or purports to limit, exclude or modify the statutory consumer guarantees as provided under the Competition and Consumer Act 2010, as well as any other implied warranties under the ASIC Act or similar consumer protection laws in the States and Territories of Australia (“Non-Excludable Guarantees”).
- Except for any liability that cannot by law be excluded, including the Non-Excludable Guarantees, Wyndham City Council (including its respective officers, employees and agents) is not responsible for and excludes all liability (including negligence) for any personal injury; or any loss or damage (including loss of opportunity) whether direct, indirect, special or consequential arising in any way from this competition, including but not limited to: (a) any technical difficulties or equipment malfunction (whether or not after their receipt by Wyndham City Council); (b) any theft, unauthorised access or third party interference; (c) any entry or prize claim that is late, lost, altered, damaged or misdirected (whether or not after their receipt by the Promoter) due to any reason beyond the reasonable control of Wyndham City Council; (d) any variation in prize value to that stated in these Terms and Conditions; (e) any tax liability incurred by a winner or entrant; (f) the acceptance and use of the prize by the entrant or any other person; (g) if this competition is cancelled, terminated, modified or suspended; (h) if an entrant is disqualified.
Come along to one of our writing workshops to share your work, meet other writers and participate in exercises before you enter the competition! We have clubs at both the Wyndham Vale and Julia Gillard Library Tarneit branches.