All Health Premises in Wyndham must meet health regulations in order to operate. Health premises such as hairdressers, beauty parlours, body piercing and ear piercing premises and tattooists must meet all health regulations.
|Low Risk||Medium Risk||High Risk|
|Hairdressing||Waxing & threading||Tattooing|
|Make Up||Epilation||Skin Penetration including body piercing|
|Spray Tan||Nail treatments||Colonic Irrigation|
|Facials||Ear piercing (gun only)||Laser and electrolysis|
Low risk health premises
All low risk health premises are eligible for a “One-off” registration. The one-off registration relates to health premises that only conduct low risk beauty procedures such as hairdressing, make up, spray tan, facials etc.
For more information go to Requirements for your low risk beauty premises.
Medium and high risk beauty premises
The following applies:
- All medium and high risk beauty premises are required to pay a yearly renewal of registration fee
- Medium Risk Beauty Premises: An inspection will be conducted by an Environmental Health Officer every two years
- High Risk Beauty Premises: An inspection will be conducted by an Environmental Health Officer every year
Health guidelines for personal care and body art industries
The guidelines assist business owners in the personal care and body art industries to comply with the Health (Infectious Diseases) Regulations 2001. See Health Guidelines for Personal Care and Body Art Industries on the Department of Health and Human Services Website.
Home Health Business
To operate a Home business, you are required to comply with the same standards as commercial businesses.
- Low Risk Premises: A hand wash basin must be installed within the procedure room. A hair basin can be used as a hand wash basin if the only activity being carried out on the premises is hairdressing.
- Medium Risk Premises: A hand wash basin must be installed in all procedure rooms.
- High Risk Premises: A hands free hand wash basin must be installed in all procedure rooms.
Registering a health premises
To register your health premises, you will need to complete the following:
- Step 1: Check if you need a Planning Permit and/or Building Permit - Prior to making an application you need to obtain all relevant Planning and Building Permits. If a Planning or Building Permit is required, do not commence any work on the premises until you have received the required permits.
- Step 2: Submit Plans for Health Premises and the Health Premises Form and pay the required fee. The Health Premises Form is mandatory for all premises and includes an onsite inspection and formal written report. Please allow a minimum of 10 working days to process the application and to schedule an inspection.
- Step 3: Arrange an inspection. Once you have submitted the relevant forms to the Environmental Health Unit, an Environmental Health Officer (EHO) will call you to arrange an inspection. The inspection determines if your proposed Health Premises is suitable for registration. Please allow 10 working days for an EHO to schedule an inspection.
- Step 4: Submit an application for Registration and the required fee. Includes onsite inspection prior to operating, any additional follow up inspections as required and a written report during assessment. Please allow a minimum of 10 working days for an EHO to schedule an inspection. An ongoing one-off registration fee is required for all low risk health premises.
Your registration will be approved if it meets the following:
- The premises comply with the Public Health and Wellbeing Act 2008, Public Health and Wellbeing Regulations 2009, and Department of Health guidelines for personal care and body art industries
- All documents and information have been received by the Environmental Health Unit
- Building and Planning Departments have been contacted and any relevant permits obtained
- All required fees are paid
Purchasing an existing health business
You must arrange an inspection by a Wyndham City Environmental Health Officer of the health premises before you purchase the business. The inspection will help determine what work needs to be done to bring the premises up to standard.
You will need to download, complete and submit the following forms and pay a fee prior to inspection:
For further information or to submit forms to our Environmental Health Unit, phone 9742 0738 via email email@example.com.