The aim of the Environmentally Sustainable Design (ESD) Framework is to incorporate ESD principles into all Council buildings. This will be achieved by applying the framework into all new council
building projects, asset renewal and extension of existing buildings and building maintenance works.
The intent of the ESD Framework is to:
- Reduce the operational costs associated with Council’s buildings and facilities;
- Reduce the environmental impacts of constructing, refurbishing and operating Council buildings;
- Improve energy and water efficiency of Council’s buildings and facilities;
- Provide a healthy indoor environment in Council’s buildings;
- Demonstrate leadership to the community by adopting and promoting sustainable building design suitable for the region’s current and future climate; and
- Reduce reliance on non-renewable grid electricity.