General hard waste
Crockery and ceramics
Mattresses and bases
Cardboard and newspaper
Glass and mirrors
Green waste & raw timber
Raw timber, pruning’s and branches
Grass clippings, vines, rose cuttings, yuccas, serrated or spiky plants, weeds and leaves
Note: FREE MULCH is available to Wyndham residents (proof needed) from Wests Road RDF on a self-serve basis (while stocks last).
White goods/metal waste
Small car parts, barbeques, lawn mowers and tools
White goods (fridges, ovens, washing machines, dishwashers)
Empty paint tins
Hot water systems and baths
Electrical and household appliances
Waste that cannot be collected
- The contractor will only collect 3 cubic metres of waste. If you put out more than the allowed amount, then you must clean up and get rid of the remaining waste. Photographs will be taken before and after for reference.
- Unacceptable waste or waste that is not put out in time will not be collected and your booking will be lost.
- Penalties apply for waste left on the cross over or nature strip 24 hours after collection day.
These items cannot be collected
- Green waste in wheelie bins
- Untied tree cuttings/branches
- Tree Stumps or roots
- Household waste
- Carpet, underlay, floor rugs and clothing
- Renovation or building materials, pallets, rocks, rubble, soil, bricks or concrete
- Timber longer than 1.5m or unbundled or with protruding nails
- Unwrapped or broken glass
- Liquid waste, chemicals, garden sprays, paint and oil
- Hazardous or offensive waste including asbestos
- Tyres, batteries, coil springs or car body parts
- Gas bottles or oxygen cylinders
Disposal of other items
Detox your home is a safe, free and easy-to-use service to dispose of highly toxic, unwanted household chemicals such as solvents, poisons and cleaning products. Visit Sustainability Victoria or call on 1800 353 233 for more information.
- Put items out 1 day before your collection date
- To ensure a smooth collection please neatly sort / stack your items in 3 separate piles.
General hard waste
- White goods/metal items
- Please box small items of same type / category together.
- Each item must not weigh more than 55kg and must be able to be lifted by 2 people
- Items must not be longer than 1.5 metres.
- Volume of waste must not be more than 3 cubic metres (3 metres long x 1 metres deep x 1 metre high)
Placement of your waste pile
- Place your items within your property, i.e.: in your front yard / driveway
- Do not place items on the nature strip / crossover
- If access/placement is a problem, please contact Council prior to collection day
- There must be clear access to your waste collection.
- Backyard collections are not allowed
- For properties with no obvious boundary (i.e.: no footpath or front fence), put your items between 4 to 10 metres from the street kerb/gutter
- Under local laws, it is an offence to place your hard and green waste on the nature strip / crossover. Please make sure you put your waste within 4 to 10 metres from the street kerb on your property. If you do not place your waste correctly it will not be collected and your booking will be lost.
How to book your hard & green waste collection
To book your collection, follow these steps:
- Step 1:
- Book a hard and green waste collection online
- If you are unable to book online you can call Wyndham City on (03) 9742 0777 between 8.30am and 5pm, Monday to Friday.
- Step 2: Put your hard rubbish and green waste at the front of your house within your property boundary (not on the nature strip or footpath) the night before collection day.
If you have any queries about your booking please call Wyndham City on (03) 9742 0777 between 8.30am and 5pm, Monday to Friday.
Why is my property ineligible for hard & green waste collections?
Some Wyndham properties are not eligible for hard and green waste collections for one of the following reasons:
- The rates for the property do not include a Waste Management charge (and therefore the property does not receive Wyndham City garbage collections services) and cannot receive hard and green waste collections
- A building has recently been built on the property but the process to update the way the property rates are calculated has not been completed. Once this process is complete the owner will receive a supplementary rates notice. Once this notice has been issued (and as long as the property is paying the Waste Management charge (see 1) above)), the property will then be eligible for hard and green waste collections.
If you have any queries about your property's eligibility, please call (03) 9742 0777 and press 2 to speak with Customer Service.
Cancelling your booking
Your hard and green waste collection may be cancelled by calling Council on (03) 9742 0777 by 9.30am, at least one business day before the collection date. Otherwise, the booking will be lost.
What happens to hard & green waste?
The contractor responsible for collecting Hard and Green waste aims to recycle as much as possible.
They do this as it is the most cost effective solution for them and because the contract requires a high recycling rate.
Items that are commonly recycled include: all items made from metals, green waste, untreated timber, electrical items and mattresses.
If you are planning to book a hard and green waste collection we recommend you give clothing, crockery and furniture to charity stores, as reuse is better than disposal.
For general enquiries regarding Hard and Green Waste collections or any problems/issues regarding a booked collection, please call Wyndham City Council on 9742 0777 between 8.30am and 5pm, Monday to Friday.