We are committed to making the permit process as easy as possible for new and growing businesses.
Whether you are a new or established business, it’s likely you will need a permit to operate – some businesses may even need more than one permit. This page will help you determine the type of permit you may need.
To identify and apply for the permits you need to set up your small business in Wyndham, in the first instance please complete the New Small Business Enquiry form.
Ok, so you have decided to start a business. What type of business are you thinking of running?
Food, health and beauty? Are you starting a new business? Are you buying an existing business?
Need more information?
- Planning Permit – All new Wyndham businesses need to determine their planning permit requirements prior to trading. It is strongly recommended you do not sign a lease or purchase a property without doing this first.
- Food Premises – Your proposed food premise must comply with the requirements of the Food Act and Food Standards Code.
- Health Premises – All Health Premises in Wyndham must meet Infection prevention and control guidelines for hair, beauty, tattooing and skin penetration industries in order to operate. To operate a Homebased beauty business, you are required to comply with the same standards as a commercial beauty business.
- Footpath Trading
Once submitted, your application will be reviewed to see if it needs to
- be referred to other departments and or authorities
- if further information is needed, before finalising a decision
- if advertising is needed to neighbours
Council’s Small Business Support Officer will help you through the process and will work with the relevant departments such as Town Planning, Health, Local Laws & Building to make sure your application stays on track.
Request for Information
Relevant Department will contact you in 15 days from when you pay your fees to request any further information we need to process your application.
This step can be delayed if we don't get all the information we need, that’s why it’s important to make sure you return the information we need as quickly as possible so we can move you to the assessment phase.
Once you send us all the information we need, we’ll then send your application to the relevant referral agencies, advertise your application publicly (if necessary) and assess your application. This step takes three to four weeks on average.
As soon as we have finished our assessment(s), we'll be in touch to confirm our decision.
Once you get all your permits, Council’s Economic Growth Unit can help you grow and develop your business.
We will add you to our Business Matters in Wyndham e-newsletter and send you links to our online Business Directory and local Business Groups.
If you would like information on Starting a Business or Wyndham business training, email our Business and Industry Development Officers Ali Naqvi and David Gatt on email@example.com.
Before you start your online application please ensure that you have completed the Small Business Enquiry Form and received a response from one of the Small Business Support Officers: Suzanna Raea or Robyn Gilbert.
One final check to make sure you have all the right documentation for the application.
- View Small Business Permits Guidelines
- View your application checklist
- Remember to have all your documents ready to upload.
- Note: upload limit for all documents is 50MB.