Did you know that reading together is the best way to encourage a love of books in your child?
By reading with your child daily you can
- increase their vocabulary
- increase their understanding of themselves and others
- provide them with the skills to be successful readers when they start school
- share cuddles!
Reading 1000 books before school
1000 books looks like a lot, but if you read one book each day, you'll finish in less than three years. If you read three books per day, it will take less than one year to finish. And every book counts! Including:
- A favourite book read multiple times
- Stories shared at Playgroup, Day Care, or Kindergarten, and stories shared at Baby Time, Rhyme Time, and Story Time
- Reading with another family member or friend
- Listening to an audio book
- Engaging with online stories
Wyndham Libraries have a range of online resources to support your participation in 1000 Books Before School.
- Encourage your child’s love of stories with our free Online Story Time sessions: Tune in to the Library Facebook page on Tuesdays and Thursdays at 9.30am or catch up on more episodes on the Library YouTube channel
- Visit Story Box Libraryfor books read by Australian personalities
- Explore the eLibrary for a range of eBooks and eAudiobooks to share with your child
Download your reading records here:
Reading to Young Children: A Head-Start in Life
Want to know more about the benefits of reading aloud to your child? This research, from the Department of Education and Early Childhood Development and the Melbourne Institute of Applied Economic and Social Research, sets out to explore the connections between parents reading to their young children and their child’s later reading and other cognitive skills.
For more information
For more information about this state-wide program, visit the State Library of Victoria website.
Downloadable colouring sheets
Need a break from all that reading? We've also got some colouring sheets for your child here.