Youth services has a range of different volunteer opportunities that support the development of a wide range of skills including leadership, event planning and advocacy. Youth Volunteer opportunities are available for young people aged 15-25.
The current volunteer opportunities that Youth Services offer are:
Youth Representative Volunteers
Paradox FReeZA Crew
Paradox FReeZA Crew, is a group of young people from 15 - 25 years of age, who assist in running drug, alcohol, and smoke free live music events, skate competitions, podcasts and training sessions. They get together at the Youth Resource Centre on a weekly basis to plan, develop and discuss live music and other events.
The Paradox FReeZA Crew focuses on developing young people’s skills and providing experience in event management, marketing and promotion, sound production, lighting and podcasting with opportunities to network with industry professionals.
Young people will be appropriately trained for their specific area of interest by industry professionals and their peers.
Previous alumni from Wyndham’s FReeZA program have gone onto be successful touring musicians, have entered tertiary study within the Music Industry and Event Management fields, have gained employment with Event Production businesses and in some cases have grown into successful Youth Workers.
Youth Task Force
The Youth Task Force is a group of young leaders who advise Council as representatives of Wyndham’s young people, Youth Task Force meets regularly to advocate on youth issues such as Mental Health, Access & Inclusion, Body Image, Education & Employment etc. in Wyndham.
This group is for aspiring young leaders that want to represent young people in their community and act as a point of reference to council. Youth Task Force is involved with many community projects, consultations and events within council.
The skills that could be gained in the Youth Task Force are leadership, advocacy, event management, project management, marketing & Networking. Some of the recent projects Youth Task Force have delivered are the Youth Summit, Ongoing (planning the Youth Summit), advocacy (completing Loop consultations on behalf of young people) and project management ( Book of Stuff Youth Directory development and marketing, Way Out West event facilitation).
Youth Multicultural Group
Wyndham City Council’s Youth Multicultural Group is dedicated to those from a first generation Australian, migrant, refugee or asylum seeker background. If you are aged 15 –25, identify from one of the above backgrounds and live, work or study in Wyndham you are eligible to join our group.
The Multicultural Group works on a range of projects including events, workshops and forums. The focus of these projects is to raise awareness of other cultures and promote tolerance within our community. New skills you can learn include leadership skills, event management, project management, creative skills both in traditional and digital forms as well as advocacy and development, for both yourself and your community.
Additional opportunities include projects with external stakeholders and work experience pathways.
Climate Futures Youth Leader Volunteer
Climate Futures Youth Leaders will provide a youth voice and support the planning and delivery of Environmental and Sustainability Events, Programs, Forums and Workshops coordinated by Climate Futures Office and Youth Services. Through active participation, young people will be provided with opportunity to develop necessary skills for becoming future leaders of the environment and climate change. Climate Futures Youth Leaders will advocate for the voices of all Wyndham young people to be heard on current climate change and environmental issues affecting young people and the community.
Where and When:
- Attend monthly meetings at the Youth Resource Centre (86 Derrimut Road, Hoppers Crossing) or online based on COVID19 restrictions.
- Meetings will be held every second Tuesday each month from 4pm - 6pm
- Volunteers must be 16 to 25 years of age (volunteers aged under 18 years must have permission from their parent/guardian)
- Current Working with Children Check (or willingness to apply for a free Volunteer card) if you are 18 years old or older)
- To enable compliance with State Government requirements in the current Chief Health Officer COVID19 Mandatory Vaccination Directions; you will be required to provide your COVID19 Vaccination Information prior to starting this role.
- A commitment to participate regularly
Key Tasks may include:
- Help brainstorm youth lead initiatives
- Help run and deliver youth friendly environmental and resilient programs, events, forums and workshops
- Attend programs, events, forums and workshops throughout the year
- Ability to effectively communicate and liaise with other volunteers and Youth Services Staff to work as an efficient team
- Ability to problem solve issues utilising policies and procedures guidelines
- Flexible approach with young people and community
Before you apply, please ensure you read through and understand the role description.
For more information about this role please contact Karolina Kubiak or May Toke-Naw Nyoon 1300 023 411.
We are currently not recruiting however taking expressions of interest for later in 2023.