Find out about your waste collection, Councillor, closest park, sporting ground, community centre & more

Print Page

Building Frequently Asked Questions

Image -

    Do I need a permit to construct something with a roof such as a verandah or a carport?

    Yes.  All verandahs and carports require a building permit regardless of the cost of the project or whether they are attached or detached from a dwelling.

    I want to build a pergola - do I need a building permit?

    A pergola is an open, unroofed structure that may have a covering of open weave, permeable material.  A building permit is not required to build a pergola provided that it is:

        • not more than 3.6m in height; and
        • not more than 20m2  in area; and
        • associated to a dwelling (i.e. not on vacant land); and
        • located no further forward than 2.5m of the front wall of the single dwelling.

    If you are planning on building a pergola with a roof, you must obtain a building permit, the same as with a verandah or carport.

    Do I need a building permit to construct a free standing shed?

    A building permit is not required for a free standing shed providing that;

        • it is setback 1m from the boundary with a maximum height of 3m; and
        • the floor area is not more than 10m2; and
        • it is not constructed of masonry; and
        • an associated building of another class is located on the same allotment; and
        • it is located no further forward on the allotment than the front wall of the building to which it is associated.

    If the shed is within 1m of the boundary, all the above provisions apply however the shed must not exceed 2.4m in height.

    I want to replace an existing kitchen.  The renovation does not involve any structural work, do I need a building permit?

    No, providing the work is not in relation to a building on the Heritage Register. The same applies to replacing a bathroom.

    I am thinking about putting in an in-ground pool. Do they require a building permit to construct?

    Yes.  All in-ground (and above ground) pools greater than 300mm in depth require a building permit and complying safety barriers.

    Do I require a building permit to reblock or to restump an existing building?

    Yes, a building permit must be obtained to reblock or restump an existing building.

    I want to remove a load bearing wall.  Do I need a building permit?    

    Yes, a building permit is required to remove a load bearing wall or any part of a building.

    Do I need a building permit for any additions/extensions to a building?    

    Yes, all additions to a building require a permit.

    I already have a carport and a verandah and want to enclose them.  Does this require a building permit?

    A building permit is required to install walls around a carport or verandah.

    Do I require a building permit to construct a deck?

    Yes, all decks require a building permit.

    Can I use a shed as a habitable room?

    A building permti will be required for the change of use and any alterations to the shed.

    (a habitable room means a room used for normal domestic activities and  includes but not limited to- a bedroom, living room, lounge room, music room, television room, kitchen, dining room, sewing room, study, playroom, family room, home theatre, and sunroom)

    My property is not serviced by sewers and do I require a permit for an onsite waste water treatment (Septic) system?

    Yes, you require a permit through the Wyndham City Environmental Health Unit. Further information is available.

    Do I need a building permit for my fence?

    This depends on the height, location and purpose of the fence. 

    For further information about Building Regulations visit the Building Commission website.