Volunteering is very dynamic, with plenty of opportunities and many different types of organisations across the Wyndham community.
Applying to volunteer with Wyndham City is a simple and straightforward process. We offer opportunities in a range of front line services and back office support. We only accept applications for roles advertised and the process is as follows:
- Read the Role Description for each vacancy listed to ensure you understand the role and the skills and experience we are looking for.
- Complete and submit the application form available at the end of the Role Description.
- Your application will be forwarded to the department recruiting vounteers.
- If your application matches the role requirements, you will be invited for an interview or informal chat with the Volunteer Supervisors. This is an opportunity for you to get to know the role a bit more.
- If successful, we will process your Police Check and Working with Children Check (if volunteering with Children) before you can start your role.
- You will attend a Council Volunteer Induction to find out more about the wider world of volunteering in a large organisation.
- The following people will not be considered for volunteer roles at Council:
- People on work placement and work experience programs
- Students undertaking volunteering as a part of the education curriculum
- People receiving payment outside of the volunteer reimbursement framework
Volunteer Opportunities Available
Homework Club Volunteer
Please note that due to the long-term nature of this program, this role is generally not suitable for job seekers, student placements or students wanting to gain experience in the sector.
The Homework Club program provides learning support to school students with particular emphasis on helping them develop literacy, numeracy and study skills. The volunteer will assist library staff with the day to day operations of the Homework Club, and provide good quality assistance to students completing their homework. It is expected that the person in this position will commit to deliver the service for an extended period of time.
Where and When:
- Tuesdays or Thursdays from 4.00pm to 6.00pm
- Wyndham Vale Library, 86 Manor Lakes Blvd, Manor Lakes, 3024
- During school terms
- Degree in teaching or other relevant discipline
- Current Working with Children’s Check
- High proficiency in verbal and written English
- Experience in teaching young people with either an emphasis on secondary maths and science or literacy and reading
- Assisting students to develop skills and knowledge in particular subject areas
- Assisting students to complete tasks in particular subject areas
- Excellent verbal communication and interpersonal skills
- Supervise and communicate well with young people
- Work with students individually or in small groups
- Assist students to complete homework, assignments and /or set reading