View the Volunteering in Wyndham brochure

The following support and resources are available to all volunteers and not for profit organisations.

Getting Started

When getting started Justice Connect Not for Profit Law provides information about all the legal issues which may impact the success and operation of the group:

  • Before you start
  • The incorporation decision
  • Choosing a legal structure
  • Registering as a charity
  • Setting up your organisation
  • Social enterprises

Justice Connect Not for Profit Law also provides provides assistance with legal aspects in operating a non for profit including:

  • Good Governance
  • Rules or Constitution
  • Holding Meetings
  • Documents and Records
  • Roles and Duties of Committee Members and other people involved
  • Fundraising and events
  • Advertising and communication
  • Important legal agreements e.g. contracts
  • Reporting to government
  • Insurance and risk’
  • Tax
  • Disputes and conflict
  • Changing or ending your organisation
  • Working with other organisation

View these Free Resources to make volunteer recruitment safe and simple or download the app by visiting

There is also a Volunteering Victoria's webinar available by visiting….


National Standards for Volunteer Involvement

Volunteering Australia launched new National Standards in 2015.

The Standards provide a sound framework for supporting the volunteer sector in Australia and help organisations manage risk and safety in their work with volunteers.

They also help improve the volunteer experience.

Incorporate Groups

If you are an incorporated group or planning to become incorporated Consumer Affairs Victoria provides information about:

  • Becoming incorporated
  • Running an incorporated association
  • Update details
  • Cancel, wind up or amalgamate
  • Search for an incorporated association
  • Penalties
  • Fees and forms

Our Community

Our Community provides advice, connections, training and easy to use tech tools for people and organisations working to build stronger communities.

Dispute Settlement Centre of Victoria

The Dispute Settlement Centre of Victoria (DSCV) is a free dispute resolution service funded by the Victorian Government. DSCV provides mediation services, as well as training and accrediting mediators to national standards.

State Government Victoria – Food Handling

If you are a Community Group or not-for-profit body wanting to sell food in Victoria, you need to identify the classification for your event and understand, and act on, the obligations that relate to your class of event. The resources include the following:

Australian Charities and Not for Profits Commission (ACNC)

Australian Charities and Not for Profits Commission provides information about who can register and the requirements for registration.

Better Boards Australasia

Better Boards Australasia connects the leaders, chief executive officers, board members and senior management teams, of Australasian non-profit organisations to the knowledge including factsheets and networks necessary to grow and develop their leadership skills and build a strong governance framework for their organisation.

Volunteering Victoria

Volunteering Victoria is the peak body for volunteering in Victoria providing fact sheets, guides and research.

Victorian Council of Social Service (VCOSS)

Victorian Council of Social Service is the peak body of the social and community services sector in Victoria and provides various resources

Volunteering Australia

Volunteering Australia is the peak body for volunteering in Australia and provides resources to assist you in volunteering, managing volunteers or setting up and running a corporate volunteer program.

VolPoll - understand your volunteering opportunities

VolPoll - a free engagement toll designed for volunteers and small to medium groups to better understand their volunteering opportunities and threats

Victorian Equal Opportunity and Human Rights Commission

The Victorian Equal Opportunity and Human Rights Commission is an independent statutory body whose role is to educate people about their obligations to consider human rights when making laws and providing services. The commission offers education, training, consultancy services.


In Victoria, all food premises are required to have a Food Act registration from their registering council before selling food. This includes fixed premises, such as cafes and restaurants – but also temporary and mobile food premises such as a market stall or food van or cart.  Streatrader is the online tool for businesses and community groups to register and notify their temporary and mobile food premises with their registering council.

A Secretary’s Satchel

A Secretary’s Satchel – Guide for Secretaries is designed to help the secretary and others within your association by explaining legal obligations and offering practical tips and tools for running an incorporated association in Victoria.  

Any secretary of an incorporated association in Victoria can benefit from this Guide, whether the association is a large association with paid employees, or a small, volunteer-run association.

Memoranda of Understanding

Download a MOU template from Justice Connect Not for Profit Law 

Child Safety Toolkit

The Child Safety Toolkit has been created by Moores and Our Community as part of our shared commitment to promoting child safety, and helping not-for-profit organisations ensure compliance with the complex web of legislation in this area.

The toolkit is designed to be read by school council members, principals and senior teachers, as well as board/committee members and senior managers of any not-for-profit organisation that works with children, though anyone can and should take it upon themselves to ensure every organisation is acting appropriately.

VolunteerPro Guide

The guide includes eight chapters detailing topics on volunteer coordination, recruitment, interviews, training, supervision, management software, appreciation, and overall nonprofit management. 


Access a range of webinars delivered by Justice Connect lawyers on a range of legal issues faced by community organisations.

Justice Connect Lawyers Webinars

Inclusive Volunteering Guides

Learn how to actively involve and engage with people with disabilities -

Volunteering and the Australian Curriculum

This project has been undertaken by Volunteering ACT on behalf of Volunteering Australia. Here you will find a set of lessons and units of work that can be used by teachers in Foundation-Year 10 classrooms across Australia.

The resources show how principles and practices in volunteering can be embedded into everyday classroom activity. If you are a teacher these resources can assist you to explicitly plan for and deliver learning about volunteering. If you are a volunteer resource centre these documents can be used to assist in your interactions with schools.

Find out more

Environmental Volunteering Opportunities

Victoria has a strong history of environmental volunteering, with volunteers contributing enormously to improving our environment, our local communities and our economy.

View the opportunities

United Nation's Sustainable Development Goals

The Sustainable Development Goals are the blueprint to achieve a better and more sustainable future for all. They address the global challenges we face, including those related to poverty, inequality, climate change, environmental degradation, peace and justice. The 17 Goals are all interconnected, and in order to leave no one behind, it is important that we achieve them all by 2030. Click on any specific Goal below to learn more about each issue.

Measuring Social Impact Toolbox

When it comes to evaluating social impact only a minority of organisations in Australia are currently equipped to meet the expectations of funders and other stakeholders.

View the Social Impact Toolbox

Volunteer Support and Resources

The Rules Tool

Develop a customised set of rules for your not-for-profit incorporated association.

The Rules Tool will help you create your own set of rules that are:

- customised to your association’s needs
- compliant with Victorian law, and
- set out in plain language


weVolunteer is a Community Recovery Volunteering initiative designed to support communities in times of need, bringing together volunteers, the organisations that involve volunteers in their work, and Volunteer Support Organisations that provide local solutions to volunteering and the communities that are enhanced through volunteer participation.

Related documents

Back to top