Did you know that reading aloud to your pets can help develop kids’ literacy skills? It can take away any judgement they can feel reading to another person, thus improving their self-confidence when reading.
Take a photo of your child reading aloud to their pet and send them through to us via Facebook Messenger to enter our Reading to Pets competition.
Entries open from Monday 5 July until midnight Friday 30 July. All entries will be shared to our Facebook on Monday 2 August, where one of the winners will be decided by which entry gains the most likes/reactions by midnight 8 June. The other winner will be chosen based on the quality of the photo and the interaction between the child and animal.
If you wish to enter but you are uncomfortable sharing your child’s face, we encourage you to take your photos from the back of your child’s head.
Terms and Conditions
READING TO PETS COMPETITION TERMS AND CONDITIONS
- This competition is run by Wyndham City Council (‘Council’) in the state of Victoria, Australia only. This competition is in no way sponsored, endorsed, administered by or associated with Facebook.
- By submitting an entry to this competition on behalf of your child, you:
- confirm that you are the child’s parent or legal guardian (‘parent’);
- consent to your child entering this competition; and
- accept these terms and conditions of entry.
- Entries which do not comply with these terms and conditions will not be valid and will not be accepted.
- Entrants must be aged 12 years or under whose parent lives, works, studies or socialises in Wyndham. Council staff, Councillors and their immediate families are not eligible to enter.
- The competition starts at 12:01am on 5 July 2021 and ends at 11:59pm on 30 July 2021 (‘competition period’). Entries received outside of the competition period will not be accepted.
- To enter the competition, during the competition, you must send a private message to the Libraries in Wyndham Facebook page, containing:
- a photograph of the entrant reading to their pet; and
- the entrant’s name and age.
- Only one entry per entrant will be accepted.
- Entries must not contain any objectionable, profane, insulting or inflammatory language, or infringe a third party’s intellectual property rights. Council reserves the right to remove or delete and exclude from entry any entries which in its reasonable opinion breaches this condition.
- There will be two competition winners – one from each category below, who will receive the corresponding prize. The total prize pool is valued at $164.
Most liked photograph
Zoos Victoria gift card valued at $114
(refer to Zoos Victoria’s website for terms and conditions for the redemption of gift cards)
Robinson’s Bookshop gift voucher, valued at $50
(refer to Robinson’s Bookshop’s website for terms and conditions for the redemption of gift cards)
- The winner for the ‘most liked photograph’ category will be determined by popular vote. At 4:00pm on 2 August 2021, all entries received during the competition period will be uploaded to an album on the Libraries in Wyndham Facebook page. Voting will open immediately following the uploading of the album and will close at 11:59pm on 8 August 2021. To cast a vote, voters must ‘like’ or ‘react’ to their favourite entry in the album. Voters may cast multiple votes.
- The winner for the ‘Librarian’s choice’ category will be judged by Council officers and the winner will be chosen based on the quality of the interaction between the entrant and their pet as shown in their photograph.
- The competition winners will be determined on 9 August 2021. The parent of each winner will be contacted by a Facebook private message and the winners will be publicly announced on the Libraries in Wyndham Facebook page and on Council’s website on the same day.
- If a winner’s parent cannot be contacted by 5:00pm on 16 August 2021, Council may opt to conduct further judging to determine a new winner.
- If a prize has not been collected by 5:00pm on 30 August 2021, the winner will be deemed to have surrendered the prize and Council mayopt to conduct further judging to award the unclaimed prize.
- Council may require a winner’s parent to provide evidence of the winner’s identity and/or that they live, work, study or socialise in Wyndham. If there is a dispute as to the identity of a winner, Council reserves the right, in its entire discretion, to determine the identity of a winner.
- You grant Council a perpetual, irrevocable and royalty-free licence to edit and publish or otherwise use your child’s entry (in whole or in part) in any format:
- on Council’s Libraries in Wyndham Facebook page;
- on Council’s website; and
- in any Council promotional material, including but not limited to posters, flyers and newsletters,
for the purpose of promoting the competition or Council’s libraries generally.
- You acknowledge and agree that your child’s first name and age may be published in connection with the publication or use of their entry.
- You must indemnify and hold harmless Council, its councillors and employees against all claims arising in connection with a breach or potential breach of these terms and conditions.
- Prizes are not transferable, exchangeable or redeemable for cash.
- Council accepts no responsibility for late, lost, incomplete, invalid or corrupt entries.
- If for any reason the competition cannot be run as planned, Council reserves the right to cancel, terminate, modify or suspend the competition.
- Council reserves the right to change or modify these terms and conditions at any time.
- Council’s decisions are final and no correspondence will be entered into.
- Privacy Statement