|Go to Library Home Page||Search Library Catalogue|
Wyndham City Libraries’ Family and Local History Collection includes books, maps, photos, newspapers, magazines, CDROMs, microfiche and microfilm which are available in the Family and Local History Room at the Hoppers Crossing Library.
If you have a research question or need help accessing the collection, please contact the Family and Local History Librarian on 8734 2600 or email FamilyHistory.Librarian@wyndham.vic.gov.au.
Our Wyndham Covid-19 Stories
We are collecting stories from Wyndham’s community on the effects of COVID-19 on our way of life. These stories will be preserved on the Wyndham History Website and in the library’s collection for future generations.
You can tell your story by sharing:
- A photo with a caption
- A one-minute audio recording
- A 500-word letter to a future generation
Wyndham ANZAC Project
In early 2013, Wyndham City Libraries began researching the biographies of local WW1 veterans to honour their service to Australia and share their stories with the community. The research project is based on the names listed on the Werribee RSL Honour Board, and in future will also include research into the names listed on other Honour Boards within Wyndham and its surrounding areas.
We need your help to discover more about the lives of Wyndham’s WW1 veterans. If you're a descendant, or know the history of a local WW1 veteran, we welcome you to share your knowledge and treasures. If you would like copies of your photographs, letters or other artefacts to be included in the Library’s collection, please contact the Family and Local History Librarian.
You can view the list of local veterans and their biographies on the Wyndham History Website.
Family History Group
Join us as we discuss our latest research finds, useful resources, brick walls, up and coming events and get advice from this knowledgeable group. This is a self-help group facilitated by our Family and Local History Librarian.
Manor Lakes Library: 2nd Tuesday of the month
Hoppers Crossing Library: 3rd Tuesday of the month
Family History One on One Help
Would you like to start your Family History or have a problem you need help with? Come and speak to our Family and Local History Librarian, getting started with your Family History or discuss brick walls or problems and what to try next.
Hoppers Crossing Library: Alternate Thursdays, 5.30pm – 6.30pm or 6.30pm – 7.30pm
Family and Local History Collection
- Books: Most books in the collection are available to borrow and can be collected from any branch, however some items are not for loan. Not for loan items can be browsed at the Plaza Library.
- CDROMs: CDROMs are held at the front desk at the Plaza Library and can be used in the Family and Local History Room. For a full list of records available on CDROM please see the Guide to the Family and Local History Collection below.
- Microfiche and microfilm: The Library’s large collection of microfiche and microfilm includes records from Australia, England, Europe and the USA. This collection is housed in the Family and Local History Room and can be browsed on site. For a full list of records available on microfiche and microfilm please see the Guide to the Family and Local History Collection below.
Family and local history eResources
Wyndham city Libraries provide library members with free access to Ancestry.com (Library ed.) Find My Past and the British Newspaper Archives.
We are also an Affiliate Library with FamilySearch, allowing patrons to access 60% of the restricted records while on public computers within our library branches. The remaining 40% of restricted records can be accessed at any Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints.
The Wyndham History Website is a repository of local history for the area. It features photographs, stories, oral histories, interactive maps, exhibits, timelines and more. We are currently working to add more information about Wyndham’s history – please get in touch if you have a story to tell!
Local & Family History Events
Wyndham City Libraries hosts a variety of different local history and family history events throughout the year including talks, bus tours, workshops and more. Keep an eye out for these on our event calendar.
Catch up with some of the great online events you may have missed on our Events on Demand page, like our Flushed with Success: History of the Metropolitan Farm and Treatment Works presentation.
Join us for this presentation and discussion with the Heritage Team from Melbourne Water about the amazing Western Treatment Plant – a true gem in the west! This talk covers the plant's historic origins and its evolution to a world class facility.