Thank you for your feedback during the consultation period of the Sports Strategy. Your input will help us to plan for and build reserves that support health and activity for the whole community. Newsletter Three will provide you with a summary of who we spoke to and some stats.
What is the Sports Strategy?
The Wyndham Sports Strategy will determine how Wyndham City delivers sports infrastructure across the city in line with the principles of the Leisure Strategy. It will have an outlook to 2045 to:
- Determine Wyndham’s plan to provide local access to sport for all residents
- Identify how Wyndham will structure sports infrastructure to respond to barriers in participation such as gender, age, ethnicity, ability, work, personal commitments and socio economic needs.
- Resolve how Wyndham will respond to the dynamic needs of the community and diverse participation trends across its sports infrastructure.
- Determine the plan for sports infrastructure which sustainably uses community resources to maintain and enhance the quality of life for Wyndham residents now and into the future.
Why we need a Sports Strategy?
Wyndham’s population growth is at an unprecedented rate. The current population is recorded at 213,911 (2016) with an expected population of between 400,000 – 450,000 by 2045.
Wyndham has 32 existing Active Open Spaces with a further 34+ to develop. There are multiple indoor and outdoor venues both publicly and privately operated.
Wyndham is significantly diverse ethnically and its health needs are varied. Demands for a different way to play and access sport are already unfolding.
The planning of the growth corridors has already seen the development many precinct structures for Wyndham’s new communities.
The Sports Strategy will establish an integrated and sustainable sports network across the municipality which will benefit the physical, mental and social wellness of the whole community now and in 2045.
It will also provide guidance for:
- Providing a legacy of best value for the Wyndham community’s wellbeing, environment and economy.
- Enable Council to address the access needs of growth activities and diversity of sporting opportunities in our locally diverse and globally connected community.
- Ensure sports infrastructure inclusively connects residents and facilitates the development of community capacity and social leadership.
- Develop strong partnerships between Council, the community and industry regarding the capital development of facilities.
Phase 1: September – November 2016
- Context Review: Data collection and analysis
- Literature Review
- Consultation period (late October – Nov)
Phase 2: November – February 2016
- Issues and Opportunities Paper
- Financial Analysis of Options and Issues
Phase 3: January – August 2017
- Draft Wyndham Sports Strategy
- Final Wyndham Sports Strategy Adopted by Council
With consultation complete the next available period will be the exhibition period. This is a 28 day period that will commence when Council has approved the document for public review.
Add your details to the mailing list to get project updates via email
You can also keep us up to speed with your sport and recreation activities through social media:
- Take a photo of you, your friend and family playing your favourite sport and tag #experiencewyndham #mywyndhamsport