The Barry Jones Oration aims to raise the profile and importance of learning and skills development, innovation, creativity, technology and critical thinking in Wyndham City.
Since its inception in 2012, this special event has grown to be one of the most significant on Wyndham City’s business calendar.
The event is named in the honour of the former Local Member and Minister for Science, Professor Hon. Barry Jones AC FAA.
This event is delivered by Wyndham City’s Economic Development Unit with the support of the event sponsors. Council would like to acknowledge the support of the sponsors for their generosity and partnership in advancing business in Wyndham.
Previous year’s orators
- 2012 - Hon. Dr Barry Jones AC, FAA, FAHA, FTSE, FASSA - A vision for Australia Sleepers Wake! Revisited
- 2013 - Julian Burnside AO QC - Are we there yet?
- 2014 - Professor Suzanne Cory AC, PhD, FRS, FAA - Australia at the crossroads. The importance of Education, Science and Innovation for our future.
- 2015 - Emeritus Professor Sir Gustav Nossal AC, CBE, FRS, FAA, FTSE - Bugs, Superbugs and Global Health
- 2016 - Janet Holmes a Court AC, FAHA, FAIB - How did I/we get here?
- 2017 - Hon Julia Gillard AC- 27th Prime Minister of Australia – “Leading through change: Preparing for the unpredictable”
- 2018 - Laureate Professor Peter Doherty FRS, AC, FMedSci – “An unlikely journey: Vet school to Stockholm and beyond”
- 2019- Professor Gillian Triggs- "Freedoms of speech and religious expression: are they compatible bed fellows?"
The Barry Jones Oration is ‘proudly supported by’ (Vic Uni and WYN Bay LLEN).