Following the announcement from the Premier and Victorian Chief Health Officer about increasing numbers of coronavirus (COVID-19) cases in Victoria, the Victorian Government is applying "Stay at Home" restrictions to Metropolitan Melbourne from midnight 5 August 2020. This has led to changes at a range of Council services.

Kindergarten Services

In line with direction from the State Government, from Thursday, 6 August, only the children of permitted workers and families in need of extra support will be able to access Wyndham City kindergarten services on site. For other families, virtual and remote learning will continue.

Permitted workers or those families in need of support will be required to apply for a childcare permit granting them access to these services. The introduction of the childcare permit scheme is to reduce movement across metropolitan Melbourne, to limit the spread and impacts of COVID-19. These arrangements will be in place until at least 13 September 2020, or until the State Government announces any changes.



Can I access my local kindergarten?
Remote and flexible learning is in place for all Wyndham City managed Kindergartens. In line with direction from the State Government, kindergarten services are now only available on site to the children of workers deemed permitted, or families in need of more support. This is to reduce movement across metropolitan Melbourne and limit the spread and impacts of COVID-19. Permitted workers will now need to apply for an access to childcare permit to send their children to childcare or kindergarten. If you have questions about your eligibility for either of these categories, contact Business Victoria at 13 22 15.  Please note Business Victoria is experiencing very high call volumes at this time and there may be an extended wait time before your call is answered.

Am I a permitted worker?
The State Government has provided an overview of which industries are able to continue to operate as per usual and their workforce are deemed “permitted workers”. If you are unsure if you meet the criteria, speak to your employer or visit:

I already have a Permitted Worker permit, do I need to apply for an Access to Childcare permit too?
Yes. The Permitted Worker permit and the Access to Childcare permit are separate, so you will need to apply for both.

How do I apply for an Access to Childcare permit?
Apply for an Access to Childcare permit by visiting

Do I need to carry both permits at all times when attending work?
No, you just need to carry the Permitted Worker permit.

I have somebody at home who can look after my child. Can I still send them to kindergarten?
If you have someone at home who can care for your child, you are not eligible unless your child is known to child protection, in out of home care, deemed medically/socially vulnerable or Koori.

I don’t have anyone at home who can care for my child, can I apply for an Access to Childcare permit?
Yes, an Access to Childcare permit is available to permitted workers who do not live with someone who is able to care for your child.

I’m a permitted worker but I am working from home. Can I still bring my child to kindergarten?
Kindergarten services are still available to permitted workers who are working from home and unable to supervise their children in the course of their duties, and do not have anyone else in the household able to supervise them. Reasons for this might include the other parent is also being a permitted worker, or because it is a single-parent household.

Does my employer need to fill out the Access to Childcare permit form?
Yes, your employer will need to fill out a section of your permit application.

Other than permitted workers, who else can access kindergarten on site?
Children who may require extra support include those in out of home care or known to child protection, medically/socially vulnerable children and Koorie children can still access on site kindergarten. Medically/socially vulnerable children could include, for example, children eligible for the Victorian Kindergarten Inclusion Support Program or the Commonwealth Inclusion Support Program; children with complex medical needs who are not at elevated risk from COVID-19; and children from a refugee or non-English speaking background. Please chat to your Team Leader if you think that you might qualify for this category.

What will happen when I attend the Service?
Staff will ask you to present your childcare permit each time you attend the service. If you cannot produce your permit and you do not fall into one of the categories listed above you will not be able to attend the service.

If my child is at home, will remote and flexible learning continue?
Yes, similarly to earlier this year, we will continue to offer remote and flexible learning for all other families.

I need more information,
If you need more information or need assistance with applying for a childcare permit, please phone Business Victoria at 13 22 15 or visit

Libraries Services and Facilities

All library branches are currently closed.

In the meantime, we encourage residents to take advantage of our full 24/7 online library. This includes e-books, e-magazines, e-audio books, movie streaming and children’s educational games. Visit Wyndham Libraries.

Our library staff remain on call to answer any questions you may have between 9am and 5pm, Monday to Friday on 8734 2600.

Our Wyndham Libraries to You Home Delivery Service is currently suspended until further notice.

All our returns chutes are closed. Please keep your items at home for now - there will be no overdue charge.

  • Follow Libraries in Wyndham on Facebook and Instagram for regular news and updates
  • Sign up for a free online membership

Refuse Disposal Facility (TIP)

In line with stage four restrictions the Refuse Disposal Facility (the Tip) is closed to residential customers.

The Transfer Station and landfill will remain open to commercial customers, as per usual.

In the meantime, if you’re cleaning out your house or pruning the trees, and find yourself with some stuff you need to get rid of – you can still book a hard waste collection from your home.

More information at

Commercial customers hours


Monday to Friday:  4am to 4pm (note change of opening time from 12am to 4am effective from Monday 10 August 2020)
Saturday: 6am to 4pm
Sunday: 8am to 4pm      

Transfer Station

Monday to Friday: 8am to 4pm
Saturday: 8:30am to 4pm
Sunday: 8:30am to 4pm

Further changes to these opening hours may be required in the future, to maintain staff and visitor safety and minimise the risk of COVID-19 infection.

The RDF continues to operate with social or physical distancing measures in place and all staff and customers must wear a mask upon entry.  Customers may be asked to present a copy of their Permitted Worker Permit to verify that the visit to the RDF is associated with a legal reason for leaving your house.  Please do not attend the site if you have COVID like symptoms, are in self isolation or have tested positive.

Community Centres

Community centres will not be able to be open to the public or community groups under stage 3 restrictions. Maternal and Child Health and Kindergarten services will still be operational at these sites.

Sporting Reserves and Playgrounds

Under stage four restrictions, exercise is limited to a maximum of one hour daily within 5km of your home, with one other person. There are no exemptions for family members or housemates to exercise in groups more than two, unless it is a dependent child who cannot be home alone. 

Pavilions and toilets at outdoor sporting reserves are closed to the public. Indoor sports centes, including gyms, training facilities and pools remain closed. Community sport training and competition is not permitted.

Playgrounds and public barbecues are also closed.  

Maternal and Child Health Centres - Telephone Consultations

Maternal and Child Health services will continue as they are currently operating, with a focus of delivering face-to-face services to families with babies aged 0-8 weeks. This is not changing.

For any other existing Maternal and Child Health families, we are  continuing with telephone and video consultations, using a specialised Australian telehealth services. Families are able to chat face to face with nurses during appointments, or use the phone if preferred.

More information:

Check In and Chat

As we stay at home to reduce the spread of Coronavirus (COVID-19), the isolation can be challenging.

Feeling lonely can affect people of all ages, especially when we are missing those day-to-day social interactions in our neighbourhood and may also be isolated from family and friends.

Wyndham City Council’s new Check in & Chat service is a phone chat service available to anyone in the community, who may be feeling lonely and would benefit from a regular phone check in and friendly chat.

The free service is an extension of Council’s existing Social Support Service for vulnerable and elderly clients, which provides regular social support and welfare checks.

Check in & Chat is a one-on-one phone chat service, where you’ll be paired with a friendly staff member for a regular chat at a scheduled time and day.

The service operates on weekdays, between 9am – 5pm and is open to all ages.

Staff can also help direct you to other resources and organisations for support, including crisis support, counselling, mental health services and family support.

With multilingual staff, the service is also available in languages other than English including Punjabi, Hindi, Mandarin, Tamil, Tigrinya, Amharic, Gujarati, Konkani and Spanish.

Further languages are also supported through TIS National translating and interpreting service on 131 450 (just let them know you’d like to speak with Wyndham City Council on 9742 0777).

If you’re feeling like you need to connect with someone over the phone or you know someone who is vulnerable and could use a boost of support, please contact Council on 9742 0777 or complete the enquiry form.

Complete Enquiry Form

Community Counselling

The Youth Counselling Team are providing counselling support to all members of the community above the age of 12 during the COVID19 Pandemic.

The counselling service offered by Wyndham City Council Youth Services is a free and voluntary service for people over 12 years old who live, work or recreate in Wyndham.

Counselling can provide young people and community members with an opportunity to discuss and receive support on issues that may be affecting them.

The counselling sessions will be held via Video Chat using a specialised Australian telehealth service and/or phone.

Video consultations don’t require any downloads or logins.

If you are feeling like you are unable to keep yourself safe, please contact any of the following services immediately:

Kidshelpline (for 5-25 year olds) 1800 55 1800
Lifeline (all ages) 13 11 14

If you are worried about unhealthy, abusive or violent behaviour in any of your relationships, you can contact 1800RESPECT on 1800 737 732 or through online chat

If in immediate danger, please contact 000 for urgent support.

More info

Foodbank Service

Wyndham City Youth Services food bank service is available for people of all ages who are struggling and need assistance.

Call 8734 1355 between 9am–5pm to arrange a pick up.

Alternatively, if you can get to the Youth Resource Centre 86 Derrimut Rd, Hoppers Crossing during 9am-5pm, we have limited staff who will be able to assist with some supplies.


Wyndham City Council is now offering you the option to book and manage your immunisation sessions online. 

In response to community need, Wyndham City Council has implemented a new online service to enable you to schedule and manage your immunisations bookings. You can select appointments up to 5 weeks in advance, and can reschedule for any reason, including if you become sick on the day of the appointment.

Once you’ve booked your session, you will receive an email with the date, time, link to the location and additional instructions related to your appointment.

Due to the COVID-19 Pandemic please be aware of the following social distancing conditions

  • please wait outside the centre (in your car is ok) until you receive a phone call from a nurse inviting you. 
  • only 1 adult to accompany the child/children for the immunisation session

Please ensure you meet the following criteria on your booking date;

  • have not travelled overseas in the last 14 days
  • you or your family has not had close contact with a confirmed case of COVID-19 in the last 14 days
  • you or your family does not have an illness, especially a fever, sore throat, cough, shortness of breath or other respiratory symptoms?

Immunisation Booking Form

For further information about bookings email or call 9742 0736.

Syringe Collection Container and Disposal Service

New Syringe Collection Containers can be collected from the Civic Centre, 45 Princes Highway, Werribee, on Wednesdays and Fridays between 9am to 4pm.

Please call 9742 0777 upon arrival and advise the Customer Service officer that you are here to collect a NEW sharps container, we’ll organise for a staff member to come out and assist you.

For disposal of used sharps containers, please continue to return these to the secure bin located at the Civic Centre.

Animal Pound

Wyndham City Pound will remain open from 8am – 4pm, Monday to Friday, however visits to the pound are by appointment only, so please phone 9742 0958 to visit.

Animal rangers will continue to work, however Council cat trapping is temporarily suspended and Council requests that residents do not privately trap cats.

Visit the Lost Animal Register

Free childcare to families working in health or other essential services

Wyndham City is offering free childcare to families working in health or other essential services throughout the Covid-19 pandemic. The service will be offered at Hoppers Crossing.

Up to 40 places available from Monday to Friday between 9am and 2pm

Children aged between six weeks and 5-years-old.

Proof of employment (i.e. health workers card) must be shown.

Call 24 hours in advance on 9749 3951 to make bookings.


  • Doctors
  • Nurses
  • Other healthcare workers
  • Pharmacy workers
  • Banks
  • Petrol Stations
  • Supermarket workers
  • Butchers, bakers, green grocers and other food vendors
Back to top