Changes have been introduced to slow the spread of COVID-19 by reducing the number of people leaving their homes and moving around Victoria.

You cannot leave your home other than for one of the six following reasons:

  • shopping for necessary goods and services
  • caregiving or compassionate reasons, including medical care or to get a COVID-19 test
  • authorised work (with a permit) or permitted education
  • exercise (once a day for up to 4 hours, and that 4 hours includes any time spent outdoors socialising in limited groups)
  • outdoor social interaction in limited groups (once a day for up to 4 hours, and that 4 hours includes any time spent on exercise)
  • to get a COVID-19 vaccination (provided the distance travelled, and the time taken is no more than is absolutely necessary)

For more information on COVID settings visit the Victorian Department of Health website.

Remember, vaccinations remain our way out of this pandemic. To book:

Council Services/Facilities

Services/facilities that will not operate for the duration of the lockdown

  • Wyndham Civic Centre: Face-to-face customer service will shift to an online offering and over the phone. Syringe disposal containers will be left outside reception door – please only take one.
  • Kindergarten: Because of high rate of transmission in young people and the number of childcare centres now designated as exposure sites, all childcare centres across Victoria will be closed except to children whose parents are authorised workers and cannot be supervised at home. Vulnerable children can still attend. To access the permit visit (FAQ's available below)
  • All Library branches are closed for the duration of lockdown.
    • Delivery is available to library members living in Wyndham, please submit your request before 9am Fridays at Library Services in Lockdown
    • All due dates of items will be extended for the duration of the lockdown.
    • Holds currently awaiting pickup will be extended for the duration of the lockdown.
    • Return chutes are now open for limited hours: 
      Manor Lakes, Point Cook, Tarneit, and Werribee: Open weekdays only, 24/7 (opening Mondays 9am, and closing Fridays 5pm)
      Hoppers Crossing: Open weekdays only, 9am – 5pm
      All branches’ returns chutes remain closed weekends from 5pm Friday until Monday 9am
    • Click and Collect is available Monday-Friday, 9am-4:30pm.
  • All Youth Service outdoor events have been cancelled/postponed.  All indoor programs will be offered online.  For further details call 8734 1355, email or visit
  • All Community Centres
  • RDF (open for commercial customers only)
  • All leisure facilities including the Werribee Outdoor Pool, AquaPulse and Eagle Stadium
  • Outdoor playgrounds , basketball courts,  tennis courts, cricket nets and skate parks and exercise equipment will be closed.
  • All organised team sports cancelled
  • Wyndham Cultural Centre
  • Visitor Information Centre

Operating as usual

  • Kerbside collections and Hard Waste Collections will continue as usual.
  • Maternal Child Health Services will continue while adhering to COVID safe practices. Where required some consultations will be held using telehealth technology if that is safe to do and the wish of the parent.
  • Immunisations: Wyndham City has implemented a new online service to enable you to schedule and manage your immunisations bookings. You can select appointments up to 5 weeks in advance, and can reschedule for any reason, including if you become sick on the day of the appointment.

Please be sure to get tested even if you have the mildest symptoms of COVID-19. For more information on getting tested visit:


Because of high rate of transmission in young people and the number of childcare centres now designated as exposure sites, all childcare centres across Victoria will be closed except to children whose parents are authorised workers and cannot be supervised at home. Vulnerable children can still attend. 

To access the permit visit

Can I still access childcare and kindergarten?

In line with direction from the State Government, childcare and kindergarten services are now only available on site to the children of workers deemed permitted, or families in need of more support. This is to reduce movement across metropolitan Melbourne and limit the spread and impacts of COVID-19. Permitted workerswill now need to apply for an access to childcare permit to send their children to childcare or kindergarten. If you have questions about your eligibility for either of these categories, contact Business Victoria at 13 22 15.  Please note Business Victoria is experiencing very high call volumes at this time and there may be an extended wait time before your call is answered. Remote and flexible learning is in place for all Wyndham City managed Kindergartens.

Am I a permitted worker?

The State Government has provided an overview of what workers are able to continue to operate as per usual and their workforce are deemed “permitted workers”. For a full list, see the attached PDF. If you are unsure if you meet the criteria, speak to your direct manager.

I already have a Permitted Worker permit, do I need to apply for an Access to Childcare permit too?

Yes. The Permitted Worker permit and the Access to Childcare permit are separate, so you will need to apply for both. 

How do I apply for an Access to Childcare permit?

Apply for an Access to Childcare permit by visiting

Do I need to carry both permits at all times when attending work?

No, you just need to carry the Permitted Worker permit. 

I am a permitted worker, but have somebody at home who is not and can look after my child. Can I still send my child to childcare or kindergarten?

Yes. As long as one parent is a permitted worker, they are eligible for kindergarten and childcare.

I don’t have anyone at home who can care for my child, can I apply for an Access to Childcare permit?

Yes, an Access to Childcare permit is available to permitted workers who do not live with someone who is able to care for your child.

I’m a permitted worker but I am working from home. Can I still bring my child to kindergarten?

Kindergarten services are still available to permitted workers who are working from home and unable to supervise their children in the course of their duties, and do not have anyone else in the household able to supervise them. Reasons for this might include the other parent is also a permitted worker, or because it is a single-parent household. 

Does my employer need to fill out the Access to Childcare permit form?

Yes, your employer will need to fill out a section of your permit application. 

Other than permitted workers, who else can access childcare and kindergarten on site?

Children who may require extra support include those in out of home care or known to child protection, medically/socially vulnerable children and Koorie children can still access on site kindergarten. Medically/socially vulnerable children could include, for example, children eligible for the Victorian Kindergarten Inclusion Support Program or the Commonwealth Inclusion Support Program; children with complex medical needs who are not at elevated risk from COVID-19; and children from a refugee or non-English speaking background. Please chat to your childcare or kindergarten service provider about this. 

What will happen when I attend the Service?

At Wyndham City managed kindergartens, staff will ask you to present your childcare permit each time you attend the service. If you cannot produce your permit and you do not fall into one of the categories listed above you will not be able to attend the service. If you attend a service by another provider, contact your provider for information. 

If you need more information or need assistance with applying for a childcare permit, please phone the Coronavirus hotline on 1800 675 398 or visit


Back to top