Your feedback is very important in helping Wyndham City to deliver a quality experience for our customers. 

We welcome both positive and constructive feedback as this helps us to improve our services for the future. 

If you have received excellent service please take the time to lodge a compliment so we can pass it onto the relevant staff member.  This also ensures that we continue to keep doing the things that are working well.

Equally, we realise that sometimes, despite our best efforts, people may not be happy with the way we have performed a service.

Wyndham City’s complaints and feedback procedures provide a framework for the management of both compliments and complaints and the key measures we will use to assess our success.

Provide Feedback

What is a Complaint

A complaint is an expression of dissatisfaction with: 

  • the quality of an action taken, decision made, or service provided by Council or its contractors 
  • a delay or failure in providing a service, taking an action, or making a decision by a council or its contractor (decision does not include a policy or decision made by the Council or a member of Council staff or a contractor engaged by the Council that is otherwise subject to statutory review). 

For some issues, complaints and appeals are governed by other processes outside the jurisdiction of Council.  Where this is the case, you will be referred to the appropriate process or authority. This includes decisions and processes relating to:  

  • Privacy and health records 
  • Freedom of Information 
  • Protected disclosures 
  • Decisions made under legislation which provides for separate avenues of appeal (e.g. decisions made under the Building Act, Planning Environment Act, Infringement Act and Valuation Land Act). 
  • Decisions made at Council and Special Committee meetings 
  • Complaints against Councillors 

What is not considered a complaint?

  • A request for service &/or action by Council 
  • Reports of a hazard (e.g. fallen tree, pothole) 
  • Neighbourhood disputes, or reports concerning neighbours or neighbouring properties (e.g. dog barking or noise issues) 
  • A request for information or an explanation of a policy or procedure 

Anonymous Complaints

Whilst anonymous complaints will be responded to, they may limit Council’s ability to fully investigate the problem depending on the amount of information supplied. 

If the complaint/request appears to relate to public safety then an investigation will be undertaken and rectification undertaken if found necessary. 

Due to the anonymity, Council will be unable to provide reasons for any decisions or actions taken. If insufficient information is deemed to have been supplied, no further action will be taken. 

Unreasonable Complainants

It is important that all complainants be treated with fairness and respect.  Whilst the majority of customers have legitimate concerns and genuinely seek resolution, a small number of complainants demonstrate unreasonable concerns and unreasonable and uncooperative behaviour. 

Council may set limits or conditions on the handling of complaints particularly if there is any abuse, harassment or threats to the safety or welfare of Council staff.  This may result in the immediate end to the complaint investigation and contact with the complainant. 

Reporting a complaint to Council

If you feel a mistake has been made or you are not fully satisfied with the standard of service provided, then we welcome the opportunity to try and resolve the matter. This will ensure we can rectify the situation and improve our services for everyone. 

To register your complaint with Council, you can: 

  • In Writing: Wyndham City Council, Attn: Customer Resolution Team, PO Box 197 Werribee 3030
  • In person: Visit the Civic Centre or one of our Community Learning Centres
  • Phone: 9742 0777 National Relay Service + Speak and Listen

If the complaint is very complex or serious, you will be encouraged to put it in writing. This will assist Council in understanding the details of the complaint. 

Interpreter services are available for non-English speaking customers by phoning the Translating & Interpreting Service on 13 14 50. 

Complaint Process

Stage 1: Frontline resolution 

When we receive a complaint it will be investigated by the service area that provided you the service.  If it is a complaint about a staff member that person’s next level Manager will aim to resolve it with you within 14 days of receiving the complaint. 

Stage 2: Investigation 

If you are not satisfied after the responsible department has attempted to address your concerns, you have the right to request that the matter be referred to the next level people leader.  This may be a Team Leader, Area Leader, Coordinator, Manager or Director depending on the scope and severity of the complaint. This person will investigate your complaint and contact you with a resolution within 21 days. If this is not possible due to the complexity of the complaint or circumstances outside our control, this will be explained to you and you will be provided with an expected timeframe. 

Stage 3: Internal Review 

If you feel your concerns have not been adequately addressed by the relevant department manager, you may choose to have your complaint referred for Internal Review. Requests for internal review must be in writing. You must state clearly on what grounds you believe the original decision requires a review. 

The request must contain full details of the complaint, including the cause and reason why you are dissatisfied with the way it has been handled during Stage 2. The Internal Review officer will acknowledge your request within 10 working days and notify you of any further information or clarification required. 

The matter will then be investigated by a person independent to the first two stages of your complaint who will advise you in writing of the outcome of the internal review within 28 days of the receipt of further information or clarification. 

If this is not possible due to the complexity of the complaint or circumstances outside our control, this will be explained to you and you will be provided with an expected timeframe. 

Review by External Agencies

If the concerns cannot be resolved to your satisfaction through Council’s Complaint Handling Process or at any stage, you may refer the matter to the Victorian Ombudsman or other relevant agencies as listed below. 

Related documents

Back to top