The Preschool Field Officer (PSFO) program contributes to the provision of a quality early childhood program that is able to meet the diverse needs of all children.
The PSFO is designed to provide support and professional services. It aims to build the capacity of early childhood educators to provide for the inclusion and participation of children with additional needs. This includes local government-funded kindergartens, kindergarten programs within a long day care service, cluster managed kindergartens, community-based kindergartens, childcare centres, playgroups, 3 year old kindergarten or family day care.
The Preschool Field Officer program (PSFO) provides one unit of care, up to 11 hours, to eligible children.
The PSFO program is funded by both the Department of Education (DET) and Wyndham City Council, who manage and deliver the service with no additional cost to families.
Do PSFOs work with families?
PSFOs work within the context of the early childhood program. The PSFO does not directly deliver intervention to a child within the early childhood setting, but acts as a consultant and coach to the early childhood educator.
This approach may involve direct contact with the child and family in the early childhood setting, however, this work is done in collaboration with and through the early childhood educator in a manner that respects the educator’s ongoing relationship with the child and family as opposed to the short term nature of the PSFO engagement with the child and family.
With parent/carer consent the PSFO can directly observe a child in the early childhood environment and contribute to the educator’s assessment of the child’s capabilities as well as their learning and development needs. This information assists educators and families to make informed decisions regarding referral pathways for specialised assessment or support services. PSFOs also assist the educator to identify and link families to a range of supports available and assist the educator’s program planning for the child in the early childhood setting.
Where an early childhood educator seeks the PSFO service in relation to a child, the early childhood educator is required to obtain informed consent from parents/guardians/carers for PSFO involvement with their child, prior to requesting PSFO assistance.
How can educators request support from the PSFO Service
Complete and return the Request for Support form by post or email to:
Wyndham City Council
45 Princes Hwy (PO Box 197)
WERRIBEE Vic 3030
Please contact the Wyndham City PSFO Service on 9742 8199 if you have any questions.
These tip sheets have been designed by the Wyndham Preschool Field Officer Service and are used as a resource. They contribute to our capacity building approach which supports educators to build knowledge and skills to provide an inclusive program that is responsive to the individual abilities of children with additional needs within the early education setting.
Please contact the PSFO Service on 9742 8199 or firstname.lastname@example.org for further information.
- PSFO - Tip Sheet - Attention and Concentration
- PSFO - Tip Sheet - Auditory Processing
- PSFO - Tip Sheet - Behaviour - Individualised Interventions
- PSFO - Tip Sheet - Crossing the Midline
- PSFO - Tip Sheet - Developmental Alerts 2-6 Year Olds
- PSFO - Tip Sheet - Early Ables
- PSFO - Tip Sheet - Emotional Regulation and Calm Breathing
- PSFO- Tip Sheet - Eye-hand Coordination
- PSFO - Tip Sheet - Fidget Toys
- PSFO - Tip Sheet - Guiding Children’s Behaviour
- PSFO - Tip Sheet - Mat Time
- PSFO - Tip Sheet - Mental Health and Wellbeing
- PSFO - Tip Sheet - Move and Sit Cushion
- PSFO - Tip Sheet - Recommended Apps List for iPads
- PSFO- Tip Sheet- Red Flags Referral Guidelines
- PSFO - Tip Sheet - Reward Charts
- PSFO - Tip Sheet - School Readiness
- PSFO - Tip Sheet - School Transition
- PSFO - Tip Sheet -Selective Mutism
- PSFO - Tip Sheet - Sensory Processing
- PSFO - Tip Sheet - Small Groups
- PSFO - Tip Sheet - Social Skills for Parents
- PSFO - Tip Sheet - Social Stories
- PSFO - Tip Sheet - Transition to Kinder
- PSFO - Tip Sheet - W Sitting
- PSFO - Tip Sheet - Weighted Lap Blankets