ABC storytelling competition, Takeover Melbourne is now taking entries.

For the second year in a row, Wyndham City is partnering with the ABC and other Melbourne councils and schools to facilitate this creative youth initiative.

High school aged students are invited to share a story about their life and submit it to the Takeover Melbourne Competition.

Entries must be a true story about an aspect of the author's life, and can be in any format: text, video or audio. The recommended length is 400 words.

Competition winners work with ABC producers to have their story featured on ABC TV, radio or online. Check out the powerful stories of the 2020 winners here.

Last year, Truganina local, Jumess, wrote a story about her experience of overcoming internalised racism to inspire fellow African Australians to love their culture.

You can view Jumess’ video produced with ABC producers and featured on ABC TV.  

Learning City Portfolio Holder, Cr Jasmine Hill said the competition was an opportunity for young people to share their stories and learn about media production.

 “Takeover Melbourne creates a powerful platform for young Melburnians to be heard,” Cr Hill said.

“We encourage young people from Wyndham to share their story to enter.”

Entries for the 2021 competition opened on March 25 and close June 25.

See the ABC’s Top 10 Story Tips and our FAQ for more inspiration.

Back to top