Harrison Ward Councillor Adele Hegedich has been elected Mayor of Wyndham City following last night’s Council meeting.
It is the second time she has served as Mayor.
Cr Hegedich was elected to the Council earlier this month. This is her third term on Council, having previously served from 2009-2016 and as Mayor in 2015/16.
Iramoo Ward Councillor Peter Maynard was elected Deputy Mayor.
Cr Hegedich, a qualified lawyer and businesswoman, said she was honoured to be elected to the position.
“I am very grateful for the opportunity to become Mayor of Wyndham City,” Cr Hegedich said.
“It is a great honour and a privilege to lead this City as we recover from the COVID pandemic.”
“I will use this opportunity to advocate strongly on behalf of all residents.”
Councillor Maynard said: “It is an honour and a privilege to be elected as a Councillor and now, as Deputy Mayor.”
“I will continue to work tirelessly on behalf of all Wyndham residents as restrictions continue to ease and we work toward a new COVID-normal.”
Throughout her time as a Wyndham Councillor, Cr Hegedich has represented Council on a range of committees including the Wyndham Council Audit and Risk Committee, Australian Local Government Women's Association, Community Grants Evaluation Panel, Glen Orden Reserve Pavilion Redevelopment, Quantin Binah Community Centre and Youth Task Force Committee.
Last night, the Councillors were also allocated portfolios, which they will represent for the next four years. These include:
- Creative City – Cr Marcel Mahfoud
- Active City – Cr Peter Maynard
- Destination Wyndham – Cr Heather Marcus
- Smart Cities – Cr Sahana Ramesh
- Climate Futures & Environment – Cr Robert Szatkowski
- Community Safety – Cr Susan McIntyre
- Learning City – Cr Jasmine Hill
- Welcoming City – Cr Jennie Barrera
- Healthy City – Cr Adele Hegedich
- Future Focused Economy – Cr Mia Shaw
- City Design – Cr Josh Gilligan (additional portfolio focus on Youth)