Announcing the 2018 Wyndham Community Volunteer Award winners!
We had an overwhelming response in nominations for this year’s awards. Over the past few weeks, all nominations have been independently reviewed by external assessors to decide on the category winners, and we are pleased to announce the winners of this year’s awards are:
- Arts, Culture or Tourism – Wal Johnston who has played an instrumental role in shaping the stunning Victoria State Rose Garden for the past 25 years.
- Community Engagement – Lyn Scott for her 42 years of dedicated volunteering within kindergartens, girl guides, local playgroups, Wesley Mission as well as her support of local tourism in recent years.
- Community Health and Wellbeing – Kym O’Loughlin for his exceptional commitment as a volunteer leader with both Sons of the West and Daughters of the West, including mentoring participants to achieve better health outcomes.
- Environment or Sustainability – Bruce Boddington whose many contributions have had a significant impact on our local environment, in addition to being Chair of the NatureWest Board he has also worked with Little River Community Landcare Group and Point Cook Open Spaces.
- Sports and Recreation – Rhonda Edwards for her tremendous passion in increasing community participation in lawn bowls, introducing more than 4000 people to the joy of bowls in the last few years with programs such as Girls on the Green and Bowling with Babies.
- Young Volunteer of the Year – Joanne Williams who at only 14 years of age has already demonstrated a wonderful capacity to help others in the community through her efforts supporting the homeless and local beach and street clean-up programs.
- Community Group – Boomerang Bags Wyndham whose 50 volunteers have diverted 200 kilograms of fabric from landfill to transform them into over 900 re-useable bags, these are provided to local stores who promote re-purposing to customers.
The category winners will be acknowledged for their achievements at a Gala Awards Presentation Evening being held on Friday 31 August where the honour of Citizen of the Year will be awarded to one of the individual category winners, in recognition of a person who has made a particularly outstanding contribution.
If you have any questions about the 2018 Wyndham Community Volunteer Awards please contact us on email: firstname.lastname@example.org or phone: 9742 8182.
Translating and Interpreting Services are available by calling 131 450 and asking to be connected to Wyndham City on 9742 0777.