From 11:59pm Friday 12 February restrictions across Victoria have changed.

New changes have been introduced to slow the spread of COVID-19 by reducing the number of people leaving their homes and moving around Victoria.

  • This means that you cannot leave your home unless you are doing it for one of the following four reasons: shopping for necessary goods and services; care and caregiving; exercise; and permitted work.
  • You must stay within 5km of your home. This limit does not apply to work or when giving or receiving care. 
  • You can leave your home in an emergency or if there is family violence.
  • Face masks will need to be worn indoors and outdoors whenever you leave your home.
  • If you need to leave home, you must wear a face mask, unless you have a lawful reason for not doing so. Always wash your hands before you leave, and when you return home. Keep at least 1.5 metres between yourself and others.
  • Never, ever go out if you are unwell unless it is to get tested. After you get tested, you must go straight home. Remember that the most important thing you can do is get tested, even if you have the mildest of symptoms.


How do I determine how far 5km is from my home?

Visit and enter your full address - including the street number - to see how far you are allowed to travel from your home under current restrictions in Victoria.

Are there any exceptions for travelling 5km?

This limit does not apply to work, or when giving or receiving care. You can leave your home in an emergency or if there is family violence.

For some people the nearest essential goods and services (including shopping) will be more than 5km away. In this situation you may travel beyond 5km to the nearest provider.


Are outdoor playgrounds open?

Yes. Public outdoor playgrounds remain open. You can protect yourself and your family by using sanitiser or washing your hands with soap and water before you leave home and after you arrive home, keep a 1.5 metre distance from others and wear a face mask unless an exception applies.

Can community facilities open?

No. Restrictions on community facilities means community facilities and libraries are closed. They can only remain open to provide an essential public support service such as a food bank or a service for people experiencing homelessness.

Closed facilities include:

  • Sports pavilions
  • Community centres and halls
  • Libraries
  • The Wyndham Civic Centre

Is the RDF open to the public?

No, the RDF is only open to commercial customers.

Are kinders open?

Yes kinder remain open.

I have an appointment with a Maternal Child Health nurse, does this continue?

Yes, appointments will proceed with Maternal Child Health nurses as scheduled.

Are youth services open?

All in-person youth services will not continue for the duration of the circuit breaker. If you have a counselling session booked, this will take place online via TeleHealth technology.

Can my child go to playgroup?

No. All in-person playgroups have stopped meeting.

Can I go to a class such as an art class or singing class?

No. All in-person non-essential groups cannot meet.


Can I see friends and family outside?  

Under circuit-breaker restrictions you cannot gather with friends and family in public places.  

Is there a limit on the number of people I can exercise with? 

You can only exercise with one person or your household members outdoors at any one time. You can exercise for up to two hours per day.  

You can only travel within 5km of your home to exercise. If you are visiting an intimate partner, you can exercise within 5km of their home.  

What is a “public outdoor place”?  

A public outdoor place includes a park, beach or garden, outside of the home.

Will there be bubbles for people living alone? 

These restrictions are in place for five days to act as a circuit breaker. Given the short time frames of these restrictions there are no bubbles for single people and no household bubbles.  

You can exercise for up to two hours a day with one other person, within 5km of both your places of residence. 

How many visitors can I have to my house? 

You cannot have visitors to your home. People can only enter your home to deliver care or to provide urgent and essential services in accordance with the Victorian Government’s Essential Worker and Essential Provider List.

Your intimate partner can visit you at your home.   

Can anyone else visit my home? 

The following people can visit your home to provide permitted services: 

  • a tradesperson visiting to make an urgent and essential repair in your home, such as a broken hot water system. 
  • a person coming in to do child-minding or a child you are providing care to. 
  • a person coming in to provide essential services or care and support (for example, cooking or cleaning if you cannot do it for yourself, or professional respite care for a person with complex needs) or medical attention. 
  • medical or emergency services staff coming to your home to render assistance. 

They will need to wear a face mask, unless an exception applies. You should keep at least 1.5 metres between you and others.  

Can a cleaner come into my home? 

In-home support is only permitted if you need assistance with cleaning because you have particular needs related to age, disability, illness, a chronic health condition or because of matters related to your health (such as mental health or pregnancy). Where it is possible to postpone until after the circuit break restrictions, in-home cleaning should be postponed.  

If it is not possible to postpone cleaning, remove yourself from the room where the service provider is working. Where possible, you should ensure physical distancing by keeping 1.5 metres between you and the service provider.  The service provider must wear a face mask, unless an exception applies.  


My friend, relative or parent is elderly – can I visit them? 

You should not make social visits to elderly parents or friends at this time. 

You can visit an elderly parent or friend to provide care and support if they have particular needs due to their age, infirmity, disability, illness, or a chronic health condition, or because of matters relating to their health (including mental health).  

You should wear a face mask, maintain 1.5 metres distance, and wash your hands regularly while visiting.  

If you are delivering meals, think about leaving a package on their doorstep without making physical contact. If you are doing cleaning, chores or other housework, have them sit somewhere comfortable away from you while you work, so you are not in close contact.  

If they are more vulnerable to serious complications because of COVID-19, you should carefully consider whether there are other ways you can stay connected – including video calls, phone calls or with social media. 

I’m worried about a friend or family member’s mental health – can I visit them? 

You can only visit if you are providing care and support to them. Consider ways to support mental health and wellbeing of family and friends such as staying connected via video calls, phone calls or with social media over the next five days. 

My partner and I live separately from one another. Can we still see each other? 

Partners living separately can visit each other at home. 

If you are visiting your partner, you should be aware that by visiting other houses you increase the risk of spreading COVID-19. 

The 5km limit does not apply to visiting your partner. 

We have children in a shared custody arrangement. How does this affect them? 

All shared custody arrangements, whether informal or court-ordered can continue as normal. 

You can leave the house to take children from one parent or guardian’s home to the other parent or guardian’s home. The 5km limit does not apply for shared custody arrangements. 

Can I get a baby-sitter to come to my home or take my children to someone’s house to have them minded? 

Yes.  You may maintain existing arrangements for in-home child minding. These arrangements can be paid or unpaid. 

Only the minimum number of people necessary may enter the house at any one time for the purposes of providing in-home child minding. They should wear a face mask unless an exception applies.  

People in at-risk cohorts, such as grandparents or elderly relatives, are strongly advised not to participate in in-home child-minding arrangements and should limit their movements as much as possible.

Can I drop my children at childcare?

Yes. Childcare is open. The 5km limit does not apply for the purposes of dropping children at childcare.


Can I take my animal to the vet?  

Yes, you can take an animal to the vet. 

You must wear a face mask, unless an exemption applies. Keep at least 1.5 metres between yourself and others. 

If you are unwell, or are in quarantine or isolation, contact your veterinary practitioner by phone for advice on what to do to ensure your animal gets the care it needs. You must not leave home if you are unwell, or in quarantine or isolation.  

Can I look for my lost pet at the council animal shelter or pound? 

If you have lost a pet, first call your council to check if it is in the pound. If your pet is there, follow their instructions to arrange for its return. 

Can I take or surrender a pet to a council animal shelter or pound?  

Yes, under the Domestic Animals Act 1994 (Vic), council animal shelters and pounds must accept surrendered animals. 

If you have found a lost pet or need to surrender a pet, first call your council and follow their instructions. 

Can I leave home to care for animals located on property other than my place of residence? 

Yes. You can travel to a property other than your place of primary residence to care for animals if not doing so will pose a risk to the welfare of the animals. You can travel more than 5km from your home to care for animals.  

You should wash and sanitise your hands before and after handling animals and their equipment, bedding or food. You must wear a face mask, unless an exception applies.  


Are places of worship open? 

No. All places of worship of all denominations in Victoria are closed for private worship or religious ceremonies. 

Ceremonies and services can still be recorded or broadcast live from the place of worship for viewing online.  

Only those who are necessary to conduct the ceremony, such as a cameraperson and the person leading the service, may be on site to record and live stream services (up to a maximum of 5 people).  

You should ensure those people wear a face mask and keep at least 1.5 metres distance between each other at all times. 

Places of worship may be opened for the purposes of conducting permitted weddings or funerals, but there are strict limits on the number of people who can attend. 

Can religious groups meet? 

No. Gatherings for the purposes of worship, prayer groups, or any other religious purposes may only occur remotely.  

Can I attend a prayer group? 

All in-person prayer groups must stop meeting in person. You can hold a prayer group online if this is possible. 

Can places of worship open to host an essential service? 

Places of worship may host essential public support services, such as operating a food bank or a service for homeless persons.


What actions do I need to take when shopping?

Before you leave home:

If you feel unwell and have any symptoms of COVID-19, you should stay home, seek medical advice and get tested.  

You will need to stay home until you receive the results of your COVID-19 test or as otherwise directed. Do not go shopping before or after testing, unless you have received a negative test result.  

You must always wear a face mask when you leave home, unless an exception applies.  

When you are out shopping: 

  • Wash or sanitise your hands regularly. 
  • Cough or sneeze into a tissue or your elbow. 
  • Respect the customer limits in place at each shop. 
  • Keep at least 1.5 metres between yourself and others, including while queuing. 
  • Avoid crowded indoor areas like parking ticket machines, lifts, escalators and entrances as much as possible. 
  • Wash your hands with soap and water when you get home. 
  • Monitor for COVID-19 symptoms and get tested if you feel unwell.  

Can I go to the supermarket?

Yes. Under these restrictions:

Supermarkets, food and liquor stores will continue to stay open to allow people to buy food so there is no need to stock up on groceries.

You can only travel up to 5km from your home. You should stay as close to your home as possible, for example shop at the nearest supermarket. For some people, the nearest essential goods and services will be more than 5km away. In this situation you may travel beyond 5km to the nearest provider.

Only one person per household can leave home to get necessary goods and services. They can leave once a day (this means you can’t do multiple shopping trips). You should limit the time you spend away from home. If you are unable to leave a child or at-risk person at home unattended, then they may accompany you. If you require a support person to help with the shopping, then one other person may accompany you.

Make a list of the things you need, shop quickly and minimise the time you spend there.

You must wear a face mask when you leave home, unless an exception applies. For more information, see face masks.

I have special dietary requirements or need Kosher or Halal food. Can I travel further than 5km to purchase food that meets my requirements?   

If the nearest store that meets your special dietary requirements, including Kosher or Halal food, is more than 5km from your home then you can travel to that location to purchase food. 

Can I take a friend or relative to the shops with me if I need help? Can I take dependents with me? 

If you need help with shopping, or if a friend or family member needs help (for reasons such as age, infirmity, disability, illness or a chronic health condition, or because of matters relating to health, such as mental health or pregnancy), then you can go to the supermarket or shopping centre together. This is only if additional help is required – if you can shop by yourself you must. Asking someone to do your shopping for you is preferable to asking someone to take you to the shops.  

You can also take dependents who cannot be left at home with you to the shops. If you are taking a child, children or a person in your care with you when you shop you should not leave them in the car unattended while you shop. Leaving children unaccompanied in a vehicle is an offence in Victoria. 

I live in a share house – how does the one person per household per day rule apply to us?  

If you are living in a share house, the one person per household per day rule for shopping still applies to you. You should work with your housemates to shop for each other, use delivery, or coordinate so that only one person per day leaves home to shop for necessary goods and services.


Do all food and drink businesses have to close? 

Food and drink businesses, including restaurants and cafés, can only offer takeaway or delivery services. No sit-down meals or drinks are allowed. 

Workplace canteens and cafés may open for staff only. This includes highway cafés and truck stops for long haul drivers who can dine in a dedicated section, as long as the four square metre rule is observed. Hospital cafeterias may not serve members of the public. 

Food courts, such as those inside shopping centres, can provide takeaway and delivery only. Dining in is not permitted. 

How far can I travel to pick up food or drink? 

You can only travel to businesses that are no more than 5km from your home.  

If the nearest shop is more than 5km away, you may travel beyond 5km to the nearest provider. 

I am working onsite. Can I get takeaway lunch from a local cafe? 

If you are a permitted worker and are working onsite, you should try to minimise interaction with others and attendance at businesses. If you need to purchase takeaway lunch or drinks at a nearby cafe, you can.  You must limit your movement as much as possible and purchase lunch from near your worksite. 

Can pubs, bars, nightclubs and hotels open? 

Pubs, bars, nightclubs and hotels are closed. These services can still operate as: 

  • Bottle shops 
  • Takeaway service or home delivery of food and drink for people to consume off premises 
  • Accommodation at pubs or hotels for permitted reasons only such as staying for permitted work or compassionate reasons. 

Can I order home delivered food? 

Yes, you can continue to have food home delivered. The 5km limit does not apply to delivery drivers delivering food. There are some actions you can take to keep yourself and others safe when having food delivered: 

Don’t allow the delivery person to enter your home and keep at least 1.5 metres distance, when paying and taking delivery of your meal. Try to use contactless payment or prepay online if possible. 

If you live in an apartment with a security entrance, don’t allow delivery people to enter the building or use lifts or internal stairways. Pick up your delivery from the front of the building instead. This minimises the risk to any older or vulnerable people who share the common areas of the property. 

Do all transactions need to be cashless?  

Cash can still be accepted as a form of payment, but it is strongly recommended that  businesses use contactless payments.  

Back to top