Notice is given pursuant to Sections 119 and 223 of the Local Government Act 1989 (Act) that, at its meeting on 8 December 2020, Wyndham City Council (Council) resolved to give notice of its intention, pursuant to Part 5 of the Act, to make the Governance Local Law (proposed Local Law).
The purpose of the proposed Local Law is to:
- regulate the use of the common seal;
- make it an offence for a person to use the common seal without the authority of Council;
- make it an offence for a person to record a meeting of Council or a Delegated Committee by audio or visual means without consent;
- make it an offence for a person to engage in an act of disorder at a meeting of Council or a Delegated Committee; and
- provide for the good governance of the municipal district.
If made, the proposed Local Law will:
- revoke Council’s Governance Law 2013;
- provide for the form and safekeeping of Council’s common seal, and who can use the common seal;
- require written consent to be obtained before a meeting can be recorded;
- create offences relating to use of the common seal, recording meetings and behaviour at meetings; and
- provide for the administration and enforcement of the proposed Local Law.
A copy of the proposed Local Law may also be obtained, during office hours at the Wyndham City Council Office: 45 Princes Highway, Werribee 3030
Any person may make a written submission relating to the proposed Local Law under Section 223 of the Act. Any submissions may be included in an agenda for a meeting of Council that will be made available to the public.
Written submissions to be submitted to Council must be received by Council by 5 pm on Friday 22 January 2021.
Submissions must be in writing and should be marked ‘Governance Local Law Review Submission’ and addressed to the Governance Department and sent via post to Wyndham City Council, PO Box 197, WERRIBEE VIC 3030 or emailed to: firstname.lastname@example.org
Council will consider any written submission relating to the proposed Local Law in accordance with section 223 of the Act.
Any person who has made a written submission and requested to be heard in support of their written submission is entitled to appear in person, or to be represented by a person specified in the submission, at a meeting of Council to be held in the Council Chamber, Function Centre, 45 Princes Highway, Werribee 3030 on 2 February 2020 commencing at 7.00 pm.
All submissions will be handled as authorised or required by law including under the Privacy and Data Protection Act 2014. Submitters should note that all submissions received (including any personal information contained therein) are included within the official Council Agenda and Minutes which are permanent public documents, which are available on Council’s website. If you do not wish to be identified in Agendas and Minutes, please indicate this in your submission.
Any person requiring further information concerning the proposed Local Law should in the first instance contact Council’s Customer Service Team on 9742 0777.